Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Robski1337), 1,372 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,144
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,311
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,920
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
HDI Boost controllers - the thread! #1177752
27/02/2011 20:36
27/02/2011 20:36
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 19,947
North wales
pinin_prestatyn Offline OP
Forum veteran
pinin_prestatyn  Offline OP
Forum veteran

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 19,947
North wales
Okay so for now twelve of us will have (or already have) a HDI boost controllers. Let's share information about fitting, wiring, pictures and so on here.

07/03 My Boost controller arrived today. I went for the SBC-D-SE , as did everyone else. First impressions are good, it only took 9 days to arrive, and only 5 working days cool Here's how it looks when you receive it:

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

Inside the box:

Main unit:

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

it feels good quality. A lot smaller than I was expecting! really tiny little thing. You could mount this anywhere you wanted!

click to enlarge

How it looks when one of the two dials are depressed.

click to enlarge

Rear.

click to enlarge

Next to MAC Solenoid unit. Again solenoid looks well made.

Also inside the box, all parts are well sealed in adjoining pockets:

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

Finally, a little data CD and clear, plain English instructions.


Last edited by pinin_prestatyn; 07/03/2011 17:32. Reason: Add pictures


Coopless!
Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #1179624
03/03/2011 10:01
03/03/2011 10:01

D
dlongstaff
Unregistered
dlongstaff
Unregistered
D



coffee

Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #1179782
03/03/2011 14:58
03/03/2011 14:58

H
howardmagoo
Unregistered
howardmagoo
Unregistered
H



zzz

Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: ] #1179987
03/03/2011 19:31
03/03/2011 19:31
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 19,947
North wales
pinin_prestatyn Offline OP
Forum veteran
pinin_prestatyn  Offline OP
Forum veteran

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 19,947
North wales
Gunzi has had a problem with his blush not the best start to my GB. D2Power are sorting it out as we speak. Mine won't be here for a week or two yet. Anyone else want to post a few piccies?



Coopless!
Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #1180136
03/03/2011 22:29
03/03/2011 22:29

N
nismo
Unregistered
nismo
Unregistered
N



haven't had time to install mine at the moment but off work in a weeks time for a week so pleanty of time to do it .

Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #1180157
03/03/2011 23:07
03/03/2011 23:07

D
dlongstaff
Unregistered
dlongstaff
Unregistered
D



I haven't had time either. The 'coupe time' I have spent has been on fitting rear discs pads and replaced handbrake cable for mot on Saturday, as the cable was binding.
I have a new coolant and air con radiator to fit so was going to do it at the same time.
What's the problem with Gunzi's?
I have only taken it out of the box to look and haven't offered it up for fitment and is all theory.
I was thinking that I would put it in the ash tray. Bit of hacking about I guess.
Powerwise, as it needs a permant live I could take this from my stereo or cig ligher as mine are permanent. The switched from the window. Earth is easy. I have a boost gauge so can plumb into that.
As for the permanent live, would I be correct in thinking it needs this to keep the settings ie it's brain working? If so would it need resetting if the battery was disconnected ?

Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #1180726
04/03/2011 23:52
04/03/2011 23:52

D
dlongstaff
Unregistered
dlongstaff
Unregistered
D



Any heads up of what the problem is?
Best not to hack apart anything, I'll make sure it works stuck to the dash first, or eBay unwrapped if I knew what the problem was.
Please share?

Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #1180734
05/03/2011 00:00
05/03/2011 00:00
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 8,071
Southsea
G
Gunzi Offline
Club member 189, Former Club President
Gunzi  Offline
Club member 189, Former Club President
Je suis un Coupé
G

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 8,071
Southsea
The unit functions correctly. It works fine, I get 1.2 bar at 2250rpm, it's really smooth when on boost and when backing off the throttle. It's a great bit of kit.

The problem is that it has no memory which means I have to set it each time I get in the car. The main problem is that it emits a very loud beep unless I set it. I'll be sending it back to them for a replacement. It's been a week of exchanging emails for me to check various things.

I was waiting for a result from d2 before posting to see how they handled this. So far they've been really good to deal with. Let's hope it's a bad apple.

Link. This was before the final fittings had taken place. You have to cut a large section out of the ash tray to get it to fit. Pics to follow.

For reference the red and yellow wire in cog lighter is linked to the ignition. I used the positive and earth for the head unit. Other than that it's plug and play.



Last edited by Gunzi; 05/03/2011 00:06.
Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #1180739
05/03/2011 00:29
05/03/2011 00:29

D
dlongstaff
Unregistered
dlongstaff
Unregistered
D



Cheers

Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #1181728
07/03/2011 11:50
07/03/2011 11:50

R
R00
Unregistered
R00
Unregistered
R



I will be mounting into the drivers side air vent - I thought about the ash tray - but I would prefer to keep it away from the hands of passengers etc, also having to explain all the time would be a pain in the arse.

I did think about this for a while - but after hearing the explaination on how to get there an the stuff that has to come out - I think I have settled with the Air Vent apature.

(mine not arrived yet either).

R00

Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: ] #1181921
07/03/2011 17:35
07/03/2011 17:35
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 19,947
North wales
pinin_prestatyn Offline OP
Forum veteran
pinin_prestatyn  Offline OP
Forum veteran

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 19,947
North wales
Mine arrived today. Added pictures to the top of this thread. I was intending on doing a little how-to, but Taffy20VT is fitting my stage 3 hybrid and FMIC this weekend, so I may as well let him fit this at the same time. It's not difficult if Gunzi did it tongue laugh
Did anyone get the following with theirs?

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

A load of decals, but more interesting is the metallic thing I got, wasn't inside the boost controller box. Looks like a set of panpipes made up of nozzles crazy You can't detach the nozzles, and it's very well made. God knows what it's for? Could be for running loads of boost gauges off for a display maybe?



Coopless!
Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #1181955
07/03/2011 18:25
07/03/2011 18:25
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 8,071
Southsea
G
Gunzi Offline
Club member 189, Former Club President
Gunzi  Offline
Club member 189, Former Club President
Je suis un Coupé
G

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 8,071
Southsea
I didn't get either of those! They did provide me witha metal T piece for tapping into the boost pipework.

One other point is that the supplied boost pipe isn't quite long enough to go between the goal post pipe on the inlet and the ashtray.

Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: Gunzi] #1181973
07/03/2011 18:38
07/03/2011 18:38
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 19,947
North wales
pinin_prestatyn Offline OP
Forum veteran
pinin_prestatyn  Offline OP
Forum veteran

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 19,947
North wales
Quelle Suprise. I've not bought a boost gauge yet that had enough hose for it to reach crazy All to save what? 2p a meter? Thankfully B+Q sell the hose per the meter really cheap so I bought 5 meters. Loads enough.



Coopless!
Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #1181995
07/03/2011 19:21
07/03/2011 19:21

H
h2ypr
Unregistered
h2ypr
Unregistered
H



b+Q sell vacuum hose???

Is that not a water hose?

Ross

p.s dont use window washer water hose for boost hose. It does work but it melts and causes no end of problems trying to identify the leak!! Lol.

Last edited by h2ypr; 07/03/2011 19:22.
Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: ] #1182023
07/03/2011 20:13
07/03/2011 20:13
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 19,947
North wales
pinin_prestatyn Offline OP
Forum veteran
pinin_prestatyn  Offline OP
Forum veteran

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 19,947
North wales
No Idea what kind of hose it is Wossy. But I've been using it in all three of my coupés over 7 years with no problems, so I shall continue!



Coopless!
Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #1182024
07/03/2011 20:15
07/03/2011 20:15

P
patch234
Unregistered
patch234
Unregistered
P



click to enlarge

Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: ] #1182026
07/03/2011 20:16
07/03/2011 20:16
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 19,947
North wales
pinin_prestatyn Offline OP
Forum veteran
pinin_prestatyn  Offline OP
Forum veteran

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 19,947
North wales
Phil you are barking mad! laugh WTF?



Coopless!
Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #1182028
07/03/2011 20:18
07/03/2011 20:18

P
patch234
Unregistered
patch234
Unregistered
P



This is posted somewhere else on the forum, but where could it be?

She may appear in other threads from time to time laugh

Last edited by patch234; 07/03/2011 20:19.
Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #1182162
07/03/2011 23:54
07/03/2011 23:54

D
dlongstaff
Unregistered
dlongstaff
Unregistered
D



Originally Posted by pinin_prestatyn
Mine arrived today. Added pictures to the top of this thread. I was intending on doing a little how-to, but Taffy20VT is fitting my stage 3 hybrid and FMIC this weekend, so I may as well let him fit this at the same time. It's not difficult if Gunzi did it tongue laugh
Did anyone get the following with theirs?

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

A load of decals, but more interesting is the metallic thing I got, wasn't inside the boost controller box. Looks like a set of panpipes made up of nozzles crazy You can't detach the nozzles, and it's very well made. God knows what it's for? Could be for running loads of boost gauges off for a display maybe?

Didn't get either of them.

Last edited by dlongstaff; 08/03/2011 00:31. Reason: or the 2p change
Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #1182181
08/03/2011 00:26
08/03/2011 00:26
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,086
Pontypool
mr_tickle Offline
Club member 1455
mr_tickle  Offline
Club member 1455
Competition Level

Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,086
Pontypool
Originally Posted by pinin_prestatyn
Quelle Suprise. I've not bought a boost gauge yet that had enough hose for it to reach crazy All to save what? 2p a meter? Thankfully B+Q sell the hose per the meter really cheap so I bought 5 meters. Loads enough.


Yesterday I Fitted the boost gauge I purchased over 4 months ago. The hose was exactly the correct length tongue

@ Phil - I think there is something about your grass growing that you are not telling us ?
I'm sure I've seen that woman before though chinny
Didn't you bring her to the brooklands meet last year?


Sorry back on thread - I'm planning on going to buy one of these units sometime soon, I'm watching the results and performance with interest.


[Linked Image]
Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: ] #1182238
08/03/2011 03:27
08/03/2011 03:27

P
philworsley
Unregistered
philworsley
Unregistered
P



Originally Posted by dlongstaff
Originally Posted by pinin_prestatyn
Mine arrived today. Added pictures to the top of this thread. I was intending on doing a little how-to, but Taffy20VT is fitting my stage 3 hybrid and FMIC this weekend, so I may as well let him fit this at the same time. It's not difficult if Gunzi did it tongue laugh
Did anyone get the following with theirs?

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

A load of decals, but more interesting is the metallic thing I got, wasn't inside the boost controller box. Looks like a set of panpipes made up of nozzles crazy You can't detach the nozzles, and it's very well made. God knows what it's for? Could be for running loads of boost gauges off for a display maybe?

Didn't get either of them.


Me neither. Fitting it within the next 2 weeks.

Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: ] #1182239
08/03/2011 03:48
08/03/2011 03:48
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 19,947
North wales
pinin_prestatyn Offline OP
Forum veteran
pinin_prestatyn  Offline OP
Forum veteran

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 19,947
North wales
I think it's because I'm the Point of contact they've gave me those decals. And looking on the net metal thing is a 4-way T-Piece so maybe they think I have a shop or something and display their boost gauges?!!



Coopless!
Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #1182251
08/03/2011 08:03
08/03/2011 08:03

R
R00
Unregistered
R00
Unregistered
R



hey speak to crazycoop if you dont use that metal thingy - she might be able to use it on the drift car.

R00

Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #1182298
08/03/2011 10:05
08/03/2011 10:05
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 8,071
Southsea
G
Gunzi Offline
Club member 189, Former Club President
Gunzi  Offline
Club member 189, Former Club President
Je suis un Coupé
G

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 8,071
Southsea
Mines being sent back today. Hopefully it'll be a swift turn around to get a new one smile

Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #1182397
08/03/2011 13:13
08/03/2011 13:13

D
dlongstaff
Unregistered
dlongstaff
Unregistered
D



Hopefully yours will be sorted Gunzi!
I don't think I'll get round to mine for another two weeks!
I'll make sure it's all up and running before I place the control unit. Can see it would sit ok in the vent, but I don't want to sacrifice the little air that does flow throw.
Ashtray wise, if it's possible to hack the back out a little then it would sit inside flush. Take of the door and cnc a panel to fit. Either make a hole for lighter or blank it off and fit the three way elsewhere (drivers side underneath)

Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #1182418
08/03/2011 13:46
08/03/2011 13:46
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 8,071
Southsea
G
Gunzi Offline
Club member 189, Former Club President
Gunzi  Offline
Club member 189, Former Club President
Je suis un Coupé
G

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 8,071
Southsea
You have to cut a largish section in the back to get it in the ash tray. Like this:

click to enlarge

click to enlarge


Then the unit needs stabilising or each time you shut the ash tray door it slips down into the recess you cut out and you can't get the door opened easily. I used velcro to attach it to the ash tray door (cheap on ebay). It looked good when the ash tray was swung open.

Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: Gunzi] #1182473
08/03/2011 15:31
08/03/2011 15:31
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 19,947
North wales
pinin_prestatyn Offline OP
Forum veteran
pinin_prestatyn  Offline OP
Forum veteran

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 19,947
North wales
Thanks for the pics Gunzi. Mine's being fitted this weekend.



Coopless!
Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #1182476
08/03/2011 15:35
08/03/2011 15:35

D
dlongstaff
Unregistered
dlongstaff
Unregistered
D



I see exactly what you have done now. I thought it was laid on the door.
That's the way to do it.

Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #1182483
08/03/2011 15:46
08/03/2011 15:46
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 8,071
Southsea
G
Gunzi Offline
Club member 189, Former Club President
Gunzi  Offline
Club member 189, Former Club President
Je suis un Coupé
G

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 8,071
Southsea
To confirm I did have it velcroed to the ash tray door, in the same place the original ash tray piece was slotted in. It's just longer than the ash tray is, so in order to be able to open and shut the door smoothly you need to remove the section in the photos above. This means that it pivots with the ashtray door, without fouling the base of the ashtray. Hope that makes sense.

It's on it's way back to HK now so I can't get any other pictures atm!

Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #1185127
14/03/2011 09:51
14/03/2011 09:51
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 8,071
Southsea
G
Gunzi Offline
Club member 189, Former Club President
Gunzi  Offline
Club member 189, Former Club President
Je suis un Coupé
G

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 8,071
Southsea
How did you get on pinin? Where did taffy run the wires for the HDI?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.021s Queries: 14 (0.012s) Memory: 0.7433 MB (Peak: 0.9861 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 22:52:24 UTC