Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (TonyB, RichG), 888 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,142
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,311
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,920
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Front Speaker Upgrade #1383932
10/10/2012 12:27
10/10/2012 12:27
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,312
Sandhurst
Begbie Offline OP
ex El Presidente
Begbie  Offline OP
ex El Presidente
I AM a Coop

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,312
Sandhurst
Oohh I normally don't venture into this section of the forum, but since I upgraded my headunit, I think I may have knackered one of the front speakers from having the music up louder than normal smile

I see from Bockers FAQ that the front's are 6.5" speakers, but was wondering what I should go for? I'm ideally after something that will give a bit of bass, bearing in mind, these are going to be the only speakers in the car.

So, suggestions are welcome smile


Originally Posted by Jonny - After being taken out at Spa
Your car is Usain Bolt with wellies
Re: Front Speaker Upgrade [Re: Begbie] #1383957
10/10/2012 13:50
10/10/2012 13:50
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 21,083
Chertsey in the Thames
bockers Offline
Hon Club Member 007
bockers  Offline
Hon Club Member 007
Forum Fossil

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 21,083
Chertsey in the Thames
Infinity are good.

But most speakers from this page will be good:-
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product_list/c_path/60_61_109/spd/17cm---6-5-components.html

Re: Front Speaker Upgrade [Re: Begbie] #1383958
10/10/2012 13:52
10/10/2012 13:52
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 21,083
Chertsey in the Thames
bockers Offline
Hon Club Member 007
bockers  Offline
Hon Club Member 007
Forum Fossil

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 21,083
Chertsey in the Thames
If you want good bass then line the doors and the mounting points with dynamat or cheaper equivalent. Also consider some wooden speaker rings. The best bass speaker will be pants if the mounting allows it to move.

Re: Front Speaker Upgrade [Re: Begbie] #1383968
10/10/2012 14:20
10/10/2012 14:20
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 8,071
Southsea
G
Gunzi Offline
Club member 189, Former Club President
Gunzi  Offline
Club member 189, Former Club President
Je suis un Coupé
G

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 8,071
Southsea
For a cheaper sound deadening solution try flashing tape, it stops the vibrations and provides a nice thud when you shut the car door.

I went with Infinity components up front.

Re: Front Speaker Upgrade [Re: Begbie] #1383979
10/10/2012 16:13
10/10/2012 16:13
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,312
Sandhurst
Begbie Offline OP
ex El Presidente
Begbie  Offline OP
ex El Presidente
I AM a Coop

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,312
Sandhurst
Cheers guys, I'll have a look through that link. I'm not sure if I'll bother with the flashtape in the door though, as I kind of stripped all the sound deadening out of the car laugh


Originally Posted by Jonny - After being taken out at Spa
Your car is Usain Bolt with wellies
Re: Front Speaker Upgrade [Re: Begbie] #1384031
10/10/2012 21:24
10/10/2012 21:24
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 307
Powys
spyke Offline
Making a profit
spyke  Offline
Making a profit

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 307
Powys
I put Focal speakers with an amp in mine never thought I needed any rear speakers since, other than a sub in the boot.

Re: Front Speaker Upgrade [Re: Begbie] #1384099
11/10/2012 09:20
11/10/2012 09:20

P
Per
Unregistered
Per
Unregistered
P



Also if you really want good sound, don't forget to buy a full kit with separate tweeters (for the IP) incl. new filters. And new/bigger cables for the doors! smile

Re: Front Speaker Upgrade [Re: ] #1384103
11/10/2012 09:31
11/10/2012 09:31
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,312
Sandhurst
Begbie Offline OP
ex El Presidente
Begbie  Offline OP
ex El Presidente
I AM a Coop

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,312
Sandhurst
Originally Posted by Per
Also if you really want good sound, don't forget to buy a full kit with separate tweeters (for the IP) incl. new filters. And new/bigger cables for the doors! smile

To be honest Per, I think it would be all a bit too much for the car. You have to remember I have no sound deadening in the car, the rear is completely stripped out and have part of the rollcage blocking the front speaker anyway laugh

click to enlarge click to enlarge


Originally Posted by Jonny - After being taken out at Spa
Your car is Usain Bolt with wellies
Re: Front Speaker Upgrade [Re: Begbie] #1384131
11/10/2012 13:21
11/10/2012 13:21
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,207
ation
szkom Offline
Club member 2000
szkom  Offline
Club member 2000
Forum is my life

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,207
ation
How about some good 5.25 mounted on MDF in the front and then mount some 6x9 speakers in the quarters (maybe with the tweeters cut if you want less treble back there)? I think you'd get a good range like that. You could even just go with the 6x9 in the back for a full range.

Re: Front Speaker Upgrade [Re: Begbie] #1384249
12/10/2012 00:20
12/10/2012 00:20

P
Per
Unregistered
Per
Unregistered
P



Originally Posted by Begbie

To be honest Per, I think it would be all a bit too much for the car. You have to remember I have no sound deadening in the car, the rear is completely stripped out and have part of the rollcage blocking the front speaker anyway

Haha why bother anyway? I wouldnt hear anything in that car! smile

Re: Front Speaker Upgrade [Re: Begbie] #1398408
16/12/2012 17:21
16/12/2012 17:21

S
sediciRich
Unregistered
sediciRich
Unregistered
S



how about a pair of head phones?

Re: Front Speaker Upgrade [Re: Begbie] #1409456
07/02/2013 09:15
07/02/2013 09:15

B
Biggenz
Unregistered
Biggenz
Unregistered
B



If you're going to run components, you have to amp them otherwise you might as well just buy cheap chinky chonky speakers as they'll sound pants off the head unit. Most components need at least a 100Wrms to bring them to life, as the cross overs sap a lot of power.

I think your best bet is to just buy a decent pair of coaxials and run it straight off the headunit.

Focal is not as good as many people think unless you buy the top of the range stuff. Hertz make some of the best sounding speakers but are quite pricey, and Alpine makes very good speakers at decent prices.

Re: Front Speaker Upgrade [Re: Begbie] #1409464
07/02/2013 09:56
07/02/2013 09:56
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,312
Sandhurst
Begbie Offline OP
ex El Presidente
Begbie  Offline OP
ex El Presidente
I AM a Coop

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,312
Sandhurst
Bit late there Pero laugh

I've already replaced the front speakers, I just wanted something that I could hear over the road noise and didn't sound like a wet fart when I turned the stereo up laugh


Originally Posted by Jonny - After being taken out at Spa
Your car is Usain Bolt with wellies

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.014s Queries: 14 (0.008s) Memory: 0.6519 MB (Peak: 0.7584 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 18:01:17 UTC