» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (montydog), 174 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,610
Posts1,341,235
Members1,804
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,563
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,301
PeteP 21,520
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,816
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Maggie Thatchier dead !! [Re: MeanRedSpider] #1420904
09/04/2013 10:01
09/04/2013 10:01
Watford, Herts.
H
Hyperlink Offline
Forum is my life
Hyperlink  Offline
Forum is my life
H

Watford, Herts.
Originally Posted By: MeanRedSpider
If, like me, you worked in industry around the time that Thatcher came to power you'll know that British manufacturing industry was totally screwed long before she came to power. I worked in several iconic British companies: Colchester Lathe & Royal Ordnance amongst others - run-down and rotten to the core with demarcation the norm. Unbelievably depressing experience and so nearly stopped me becoming an engineer at all. I also visited Ford Dagenham - the worst of the lot. At the same time, Nissan Sunderland was just starting up. Which of those manufacturing sites is still thriving? It tells you all you need to know.

Nice post MRS. I think there is a lot of people wearing rose tinted glasses when looking back at our engineering/manufacturing base. It may be true that more could have been done to preserve certain parts but it was sign off the times and a failure of both manufacturing bosses and the unions to modernize and become more competitive. In a global open market it was unsustainable to keep putting money in poor performing sectors especially when your out classes in both quality and price.

Interesting that some people are suggestion that we are in effect subsidizing big business buy paying benefits to paid workers and that companies should be made to pay their full "living" wages; weren't we basically doing the same by subsidizing companies which should be been able to turn a profit by themselves?

Re: Maggie Thatchier dead !! [Re: MeanRedSpider] #1420905
09/04/2013 10:07
09/04/2013 10:07

T
tim42
Unregistered
tim42
Unregistered
T

In 1979 British Telecom had over 200000 employees and it took 3 months to get a phone line installed. BT currently employs 33000 people, and I suspect it wouldn't take more than a week to receive a new line. As for the poor miners, in 1979 the South Yorkshire miners were far and away the best paid manual workers in the land....

There's no doubting one fact - Margaret Thatcher was a true Marmite figure of the 20th Century.

Re: Maggie Thatchier dead !! [Re: MeanRedSpider] #1420907
09/04/2013 10:13
09/04/2013 10:13
Berlin
barnacle Offline
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin

I'm interested in this. It wasn't long before that many of these industries were nationalised - I'm not sure any of them started as government bodies (railways, mines, steel etc were mostly started in the industrial revolution by private individuals). What makes going in one direction right but going back the other way wrong? I'm genuinely interested to understand this

I'm probably going to surprise you by agreeing. It's not right in one direction or the other... however, it's fair bet that the people who started those industries were not the people who owned them after the nationalise/privatisation cycle was over.

I suppose the rationale for nationalisation is the same as for tax: it's perceived as a public good that should be in 'public' ownership. And, of course, the government has all the guns...

[Linked Image]
Don't get no respect! Coupe Fiat 1994-2000 - an owner's guide <-- clicky!
Re: Maggie Thatchier dead !! [Re: Gareth_M] #1420909
09/04/2013 10:22
09/04/2013 10:22
Southampton, Hants
Roadking Offline
Club member 1809
Roadking  Offline
Club member 1809
Forum is my life

Southampton, Hants
Originally Posted By: Gareth_M

I hope the bitch burns in hell.

I just hope she's joined by Tony some time soon.

"RK's way seems the most sensible to me". ali_hire 16 Dec 2010
Re: Maggie Thatchier dead !! [Re: ali_hire] #1420945
09/04/2013 13:10
09/04/2013 13:10

W
Willd
Unregistered
Willd
Unregistered
W

Originally Posted By: ali_hire
However, if she was so unpopular, why did we vote her into power on three separate occasions?

In a democracy the vote of an idiot counts the same as that of a sane man. Not sure who's quote it was but it seems apt tongue

Re: Maggie Thatchier dead !! [Re: ] #1420961
09/04/2013 13:53
09/04/2013 13:53
Portsmouth
A
ali_hire Offline
Forum is my life
ali_hire  Offline
Forum is my life
A

Portsmouth
Quite right. But what I was getting at is that the majority of people at the time (idiots, perhaps) held her in high enough regard to allow her to run the country.

A good number of those voters (I've no idea whether it would be a the majority or not) will still be alive today and yet it seems that the majority of people now ill think poorly of her.

Have those voters now changed their opinion of her? Or are they no longer idiots?

Last edited by ali_hire; 09/04/2013 13:53.
Re: Maggie Thatchier dead !! [Re: ] #1420969
09/04/2013 14:14
09/04/2013 14:14
Aldershot
PeteP Offline
Hon Club Member 005, Membership Secretary
PeteP  Offline
Hon Club Member 005, Membership Secretary
Forum Fossil

Aldershot
The newsreader on the BBC lunchtime news is wearing black, the men are wearing black ties and all are looking glum.

Can I assume that, in the interest of balance, the bright clothes and smiles will come out in the evening programme?

16VT and X1/9 1500

We must all do our part for the planet.
I unplugged a row of electric cars that nobody was using.
Re: Maggie Thatchier dead !! [Re: ali_hire] #1420972
09/04/2013 14:45
Corridor of Uncertainty
J
Jim_Clennell Offline
Forum veteran
Jim_Clennell  Offline
Forum veteran
J

Corridor of Uncertainty
Quite right. But what I was getting at is that the majority of people at the time (idiots, perhaps) held her in high enough regard to allow her to run the country.

A good number of those voters (I've no idea whether it would be a the majority or not) will still be alive today and yet it seems that the majority of people now ill think poorly of her.

Have those voters now changed their opinion of her? Or are they no longer idiots?

In a two party system, unless there is a convincing opposition people will tend to opt for a "better the devil you know" choice. The Conservative message at the time was a seductive one for a lot of voters who believed in the Thatcherite creed, had lost all faith in the régime that preceded it and didn't believe that the opposition was credible enough to change their minds. The Falklands War undoubtedly won the Conservatives the 1983 election, with Thatcher's Churchillian impressions a big factor. Another thing that the Tories were first to adopt was the widespread and effective use of media and advertising through Saatchi & Saatchi. The unprecedentedly slick and media-savvy campaigns they produced left Labour reeling and looking out of touch and old-fashioned. A lesson well learned by New Labour...

Re: Maggie Thatchier dead !! [Re: ] #1420973
Southampton, Hants
Roadking Offline
Club member 1809
Roadking  Offline
Club member 1809
Forum is my life

Southampton, Hants
Originally Posted By: Willd
However, if she was so unpopular, why did we vote her into power on three separate occasions?

In a democracy the vote of an idiot counts the same as that of a sane man. Not sure who's quote it was but it seems apt tongue

As someone who voted for her, I don't see how that's apt at all.

Three reasons Maggie got into power:

Callaghan
Foot
Kinnock

As it happens in descending order of suitability as PM. Not that Kinnock minds, he's had his snout in the Brussels trough for years now.

Re: Maggie Thatchier dead !! [Re: Roadking] #1420975
09/04/2013 14:51
09/04/2013 14:51
Corridor of Uncertainty
J
Jim_Clennell Offline
Forum veteran
Jim_Clennell  Offline
Forum veteran
J

Corridor of Uncertainty
Originally Posted By: Roadking
Originally Posted By: Willd

As someone who voted for her, I don't see how that's apt at all.

Three reasons Maggie got into power:

Callaghan
Foot
Kinnock

As it happens in descending order of suitability as PM. Not that Kinnock minds, he's had his snout in the Brussels trough for years now.

Well, if the cap fits!

Re: Maggie Thatchier dead !! [Re: ] #1420977
09/04/2013 14:55
09/04/2013 14:55
Northumberland
A
AndrewR Offline
I AM a Coop
AndrewR  Offline
I AM a Coop
A

Northumberland
Foot was a good man and would, I believe, have been a good PM, but he was one of the first victims of the electorates preference for personalities, rather than politicians.

Dear monos, a secret truth.
Re: Maggie Thatchier dead !! [Re: Jim_Clennell] #1420978
09/04/2013 15:06
09/04/2013 15:06
South Cambs
B
Barmybob Offline
Hon Club Member: 003
Barmybob  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
B

South Cambs
And so was born "sound bite" politics...

Little catch phrases that steer the masses. The Thatcher government may have been first but the Blaire machine took it to the next level. To this day policy is little scrutinized, so long as it can be captured in a buzz phrase we lap it up.

Every policy nowadays is being implemented for the "Hard working People of the Nation" and everything will be done to target the "Work Shy" However if you need to sell the same policy to other groups it will be "Protecting the most venerable in society" and will target the "Fat Cats"
All meaningless twaddle but we all fall for it.

Gone Audi mad!
Re: Maggie Thatchier dead !! [Re: Barmybob] #1420981
09/04/2013 15:26
09/04/2013 15:26
Southampton, Hants
Roadking Offline
Club member 1809
Roadking  Offline
Club member 1809
Forum is my life

Southampton, Hants
Sadly it will get worse. I'm amazed at the ignorance of "young adults" who have no knowledge or interest in anything which isn't a Facebook status.

Politicians have to rely on soundbites, youngster's attention spans don't run to anything in depth. As for Salmond giving 16 year olds the vote in the referendum rolleyes

As I read somewhere, if he really wants independence, give the English the vote... coat

Last edited by Roadking; 09/04/2013 15:26.

Re: Maggie Thatchier dead !! [Re: ] #1420982
09/04/2013 15:28
Corridor of Uncertainty
J
Jim_Clennell Offline
Forum veteran
Jim_Clennell  Offline
Forum veteran
J

Corridor of Uncertainty
As I said, it was a lesson learned by Labour and implemented with obsessive fervour by the New Labour spin doctors. Another example of Blair learning from his mentor!

Michael Foot was an amazing man and Andrew's comment is spot-on. He was eminently easy to parody and his intellect and passion were vandalised by cheap jokes about his appearance.
Callaghan shared the thankless task of John Major and Gordon Brown of taking over the office of Prime Minister without the (unnecessary but expedient) virtue of winning a general election.
Kinnock was another - perhaps the biggest - victim of the Conservatives' skill with the media. It was coincidental but probably inevitable that Spitting Image would exploit this beautifully too. From what I know of him (not much, but not nothing!), Neil Kinnock is actually a pretty decent bloke.

Re: Maggie Thatchier dead !! [Re: Jim_Clennell] #1420983
Southampton, Hants
Roadking Offline
Club member 1809
Roadking  Offline
Club member 1809
Forum is my life

Southampton, Hants
Originally Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Well, if the cap fits!

That'd be the flat cap so beloved of the working man? Which has gone out of fashion as the Polish don't like them...

Re: Maggie Thatchier dead !! [Re: Roadking] #1420985
09/04/2013 15:32
09/04/2013 15:32
Corridor of Uncertainty
J
Jim_Clennell Offline
Forum veteran
Jim_Clennell  Offline
Forum veteran
J

Corridor of Uncertainty
Originally Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Well, if the cap fits!

That'd be the flat cap so beloved of the working man? Which has gone out of fashion as the Polish don't like them...

Not sure what your point is here, RK? Are you saying that Polish people are the new working class of the UK?

Re: Maggie Thatchier dead !! [Re: ] #1420992
09/04/2013 15:46
09/04/2013 15:46

K
Kenno
Unregistered
Kenno
Unregistered
K

Sort of ironic how the anti-Thatcher protesters are celebrating by drinking champagne....

Re: Maggie Thatchier dead !! [Re: ] #1420993
09/04/2013 15:48
09/04/2013 15:48
South Cambs
B
Barmybob Offline
Barmybob  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
B

South Cambs
Originally Posted By: tim42
In 1979 British Telecom had over 200000 employees and it took 3 months to get a phone line installed. BT currently employs 33000 people, and I suspect it wouldn't take more than a week to receive a new line.

But a nationalised service meant that you got a line if you wanted a line and at a fixed price too. Even if you lived in the sticks and were not on the network you could get connected.

Today you can't have high speed broadband if it is not seen as being economically viable to bring it to you. Most of us don't have the option of cable services as they too won't supply if they don't feel its economically viable to deliver it to you, your town or village.

We ALL have electricity because the national grid built and paid for the infrastructure to link the UK power network and bring electricity to our homes.

We all have fresh water because the National water board built and paid for the infrastructure. The village where I live didn't get piped water until the 1950's. No private company had, or would, have ever considered such huge investment.

We have gas because the National Gas board paid for and built the infrastructure.

We the tax payer paid for our nations utility infrastructure, not private business. When the utilities were sold they were not sold at anywhere near what they were worth. They were sold to the Nation, so we could all invest and own a little part of them. Yet today almost all of them have been taken over by foreign investment firms and you can't even buy UK shares in them.

Today we pay most of our utility bills to venture capitalists and overseas investment corporations. These people don't take our money and re-invest in the infrastructure. They make huge proffits but if the infrastructure needs significant repair we are told it will be reflected in higher bills for us.

Gone are the standard unit prices. We now pay what the market will bear! And don't even get me started on the toothless utility watchdogs.

Gone Audi mad!
Re: Maggie Thatchier dead !! [Re: Jim_Clennell] #1420999
09/04/2013 16:02
09/04/2013 16:02
Southampton, Hants
Roadking Offline
Club member 1809
Roadking  Offline
Club member 1809
Forum is my life

Southampton, Hants
Should have had a smiley. I was referring to the fact that they are a significant part of our workforce.

Just to clear one thing, I am working class. My current salary and lifestyle may make me middle class (I don't know the criteria, no doubt Wikipedia could tell me), but as the son of a (staunch Labour) dockyardie's daughter, and an agricultural worker's son, I am well aware of my roots. My dad "improved" his prospects by joining the army. As I did the same I basically trod water in the working class pool.

I was exposed to right and left wing political opinion. For the first time ever at the last election my mum did not vote Labour. My dad stopped voting Tory when he died. I guess my dad had the biggest influence on me, but I can still recite the anti-Royal, anti-Tory, (and especially anti-Churchill) rhetoric of my "pinko" grandad. He died before Thatcher came to power, but I doubt he would have been a fan.

To be fair I wasn't particularly. I along with most on here, disagreed with the utilities sell off. However I agreed with breaking the unions. I can remember uncollected rubbish on the streets, the three day week, bodies stacking up in mortuaries and power cuts. Closed shops, wildcat strikes, striking in sympathy and restrictive practices? I don't miss any of them. The days of Unions representing the downtrodden serf were long gone before the 70s.

Re: Maggie Thatchier dead !! [Re: Roadking] #1421008
09/04/2013 16:36
09/04/2013 16:36
Northumberland
A
AndrewR Offline
I AM a Coop
AndrewR  Offline
I AM a Coop
A

Northumberland
As I read somewhere, if he [Salmond] really wants independence, give the English the vote... coat

Why on god's green Earth would he want independence? He's a nationalist; all of his power comes from being able to bang on about how Scotland should be independent. If it actually is then he's out of a job smile

A few other comments about various things in this thread (I wish I'd had time to partake in it more)...

On Thatchier (even more Thatchy than Thatcher) - the first thing I think of when I think of her is her famous, "The lady's not for turning" speech. You can't argue that she could certainly give a speech.

Something that's bothered me for a long time though, is how it became good to 'principled' as politician and weak to U-turn. I want my politicians to listen to the electorate and, more importantly, change their policies if they're not working. When did that become unacceptable for politicians?

Nationalisation vs privatisation - I think most of us would accept that all of one or all of the other is bad. Private industry always has to have its eye on the bottom line, but, by the same token nationalised industry often lacks the motivation to succeed (look at British Leyland - years of churning out dreadful cars, different dreadful cars that were the direct competitors of the previous dreadful cars, stupid working practices, such as carting unpainted bodyshells 300 yards down the road, on a transporter, to be painted).

For me Mrs T went too far down the privatisation route, there was a lot of life that wasn't cost-effective, but was still valuable. Unfortunately her blindness to the difference between those terms seems to have been passed on to her ideological successors.

Re: Maggie Thatchier dead !! [Re: Roadking] #1421020
09/04/2013 16:53
09/04/2013 16:53
South Cambs
B
Barmybob Offline
Barmybob  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
B

South Cambs
However I agreed with breaking the unions.

I can agree with some of this. There were elements of trades unionism that were out of hand, bad and needed to be dealt with. The trouble is far too many of the others, the progressives, got swept up in the union bashing and the balance went too far the other way.

I have a very similar background to yourself, but have served as a Trades union rep. I got into the movement in order to oust someone who was not acting in the best inerests of members. I was part of a progressive engineering team who saw partnership with management as being a far better way of getting things done. And this worked really well. Unfortunately a few years ago we were merged to form Unite. The local T&G team was far larger than us, far more militant and undermined all we tried to do. Not being prepared to fight the leadership, and having no other option I resigned as a shop steward and am no longer a union member.

I am regularly asked by management and colleagues to re-consider... rolleyes

Gone Audi mad!
Re: Maggie Thatchier dead !! [Re: Barmybob] #1421021
09/04/2013 16:59
09/04/2013 16:59
Watford, Herts.
H
Hyperlink Offline
Forum is my life
Hyperlink  Offline
Forum is my life
H

Watford, Herts.
Originally Posted By: Barmybob
We all have fresh water because the National water board built and paid for the infrastructure. The village where I live didn't get piped water until the 1950's. No private company had, or would, have ever considered such huge investment.

What water company provides your water? I suspect that a private company can and did make that investment judging by your location (as they did up and down the country).

Re: Maggie Thatchier dead !! [Re: ] #1421032
09/04/2013 17:29
09/04/2013 17:29
Harpenden
S
sugerbear Offline
Je suis un Coupé
sugerbear  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
S

Harpenden
I wonder what the UK would have been like without her. Like any humnan she got some things right and some things wrong.

I imagine without a strong/determined government there would have been a continued slow decline, more strikes, more subsidies of the nationalised industries and maybe in the longer term higher taxes, inflation and further bailouts from the IMF.

Maybe nationalised industries did create jobs, but that was an illusion that wouldn't have been sustainable in the long term.

On balance we could have had much worse.

How to make a startrek widget cable >> http://tinyurl.com/dyje6fy
Re: Maggie Thatchier dead !! [Re: ] #1421034
09/04/2013 17:34
09/04/2013 17:34
Northumberland
A
AndrewR Offline
I AM a Coop
AndrewR  Offline
I AM a Coop
A

Northumberland
Well there's some evidence that a right-wing coup was being planned in Britain in the 70s, to sort out problems such as industrial relations, so maybe by getting a strong right-wing prime minister we avoided a military government.

We'll never know.

Re: Maggie Thatchier dead !! [Re: Barmybob] #1421055
09/04/2013 18:39
09/04/2013 18:39
Cambridge & Cotswolds
M
MeanRedSpider Offline
Je suis un Coupé
MeanRedSpider  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
M

Cambridge & Cotswolds

We ALL have electricity .....

We all have fresh water .....

We have gas .....

And we all have railway lines because....oh sh!t, the government (Labour as I remember) ripped them up rolleyes wink
(ETA - I suspect it was private money that laid them up here too - and there were loads)

And, actually, we don't all have piped water, I certainly don't have gas (though I suspect it comes from closer to me than you wink ) and certainly many of us have more precarious electricity supplies than others. Oh, and then there's the roads, and the mail (I pay twice as much for a parcel in twice the time) - shall I go on?

We're all equal - just some of us are more equal than others.... wink

Last edited by MeanRedSpider; 09/04/2013 18:47. Reason: Rails
Re: Maggie Thatchier dead !! [Re: ] #1421075
09/04/2013 19:17
09/04/2013 19:17
In the coupe.
magooagain Offline
Club Member 259
magooagain  Offline
Club Member 259
Forum is my life

In the coupe.
May the Iron Lady rust in peace !

Re: Maggie Thatchier dead !! [Re: Barmybob] #1421088
09/04/2013 20:02
09/04/2013 20:02
Berlin
barnacle Offline
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin
and having no other option I resigned as a shop steward and am no longer a union member.

I am regularly asked by management and colleagues to re-consider... rolleyes

Thirty years ago my father was shop steward for a bunch of lorry drivers. The union evicted him for being insufficiently aggressive/obnoxious... the drivers resigned en mass from the union until he was reinstated.

[Linked Image]
Don't get no respect! Coupe Fiat 1994-2000 - an owner's guide <-- clicky!
Re: Maggie Thatchier dead !! [Re: MeanRedSpider] #1421127
09/04/2013 22:30
09/04/2013 22:30
South Cambs
B
Barmybob Offline
Barmybob  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
B

South Cambs
And we all have railway lines because....oh sh!t, the government (Labour as I remember) ripped them up rolleyes wink

Ernest Marples (CON) appointed Beeching. Report was puplished in 63 and implemented by the Government (CON). Labour were elected with a pledge to halt the closures but didn't. By 67 they introduced legislation to protect line but by then many had already gone!

And, actually, we don't all have piped water, I certainly don't have gas (though I suspect it comes from closer to me than you wink ) and certainly many of us have more precarious electricity supplies than others.

In 79 we had Maggie and then privatisation. The last 30 years have seen far less infrastructure investment than the 30 years previous!

We're all equal - just some of us are more equal than others.... wink

Cool, I like that wink But to be fair you have chosen to live in Scotland... Maggie did more to destroy the Scotts than many of the tirants who preceeded her!

Gone Audi mad!
Re: Maggie Thatchier dead !! [Re: ] #1421133
09/04/2013 22:41
09/04/2013 22:41
The Faringdon Folly
O
oxfordSteve Offline
Forum is my job
oxfordSteve  Offline
Forum is my job
O

The Faringdon Folly
You do have to laugh at Amazon's top MP3 single download....

Re: Maggie Thatchier dead !! [Re: oxfordSteve] #1421172
10/04/2013 04:27
10/04/2013 04:27
South Cambs
B
Barmybob Offline
Barmybob  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
B

South Cambs
Mrs Thatcher. The only person known to have screwed more minors than Savile...

Gone Audi mad!
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5