|
0 registered members (),
1,164
guests, and 4
spiders. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums48
Topics103,722
Posts1,170,108
Members1,659
| |
Most Online39,516 Apr 16th, 2026
|
|
|
Owners Guide Pictures
#1466284
03/01/2014 12:54
03/01/2014 12:54
|
Downhillryder
Unregistered
|
Downhillryder
Unregistered
|
I have a copy of the Joe Knight (countrycruising) and Neil Barnes (barnacle)'s "Coupe Fiat 1994-2000 - an owner's guide"
It's great but to be honest some of the pictures in my copy are a little dark to discern some of the detail.
Would it be an idea (if possible) for Joe or Neil to post the original pictures in a "project thread" so that members can view/zoom in on the detail from the forum ? I think that would be a great enhancement.
|
|
|
Re: Owners Guide Pictures
[Re: ]
#1466360
03/01/2014 18:07
03/01/2014 18:07
|
Downhillryder
Unregistered
|
Downhillryder
Unregistered
|
Yes I didn't mean to imply a "freebie".
You could make them members only or even password protect the pictures using a specific word from a specific page of the book so that only purchasers of the book can view.
I would like to say I think the book is a great asset to a new owner of a Coupe. Thnx
|
|
|
Re: Owners Guide Pictures
[Re: barnacle]
#1466364
03/01/2014 18:11
03/01/2014 18:11
|
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,167 Glos
Brilly1uk
Club member 1034
|
Club member 1034
Competition Level
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,167
Glos
|
Thanks for the feedback, DHR - we spent a lot of time sorting the pictures (the first attempt were *seriously* gloomy!) but unfortunately we're a bit constrained by the print format.
A full photo-quality book would have cost fifty quid a copy just to *print*...
I'll have a word with the board to make sure we're not breaking any rules; if they're all happy then we can post the original full-size images.
If not, I'll stick them on my website - I'll probably do that anyway, but they'll be better here, I think.
Neil I agree some of the pics could have been clearer, but recognise the printing constraints. As Simon suggests, pics access to members only would add to the club's list of "benefits?"
Fiat Coupe 20VT Alfa Romeo Spider BMW X3
|
|
|
Re: Owners Guide Pictures
[Re: ]
#1466438
04/01/2014 00:05
04/01/2014 00:05
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,313 FCSS 01684 593187
Countrycruising
Club member 914
|
Club member 914
Forum veteran
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,313
FCSS 01684 593187
|
Would it be an idea (if possible) for Joe or Neil to post the original pictures in a "project thread" so that members can view/zoom in on the detail from the forum ? I think that would be a great enhancement.
Great idea  From the off I would have liked colour pics but as Neil has pointed out the costs would of sky rocketed  Still a great book though  Can we add a link to the pics on the sticky?
|
|
|
Re: Owners Guide Pictures
[Re: ]
#1466474
04/01/2014 11:18
04/01/2014 11:18
|
Richie007
Unregistered
|
Richie007
Unregistered
|
I'll be getting the book for my birthday in Feb so it looks like I'll be a member in Feb as well so I can see the photos. A New Forum user and New owner!!
|
|
|
Re: Owners Guide Pictures
[Re: ]
#1466476
04/01/2014 11:22
04/01/2014 11:22
|
Richie007
Unregistered
|
Richie007
Unregistered
|
Is the link the only place to purchase the book from
|
|
|
Re: Owners Guide Pictures
[Re: barnacle]
#1466509
04/01/2014 15:42
04/01/2014 15:42
|
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,904 Auld Reekie
Edinburgh
Club President, member225
|
Club President, member225
Forum veteran
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,904
Auld Reekie
|
Note: the first time you click on the page you're downloading two or three hundred megabytes while the thumbmails are loaded... be warned! Too late, I already sent you a PM as it pretty well crashed mine! I'd have posted on the thread but for the above - basically it suggested dividing up the pictures into "chapters" in separately-defined threads if that doesn't sound completely off-the-wall.... A fantastic resource to have nevertheless
BumbleBee carer
|
|
|
Re: Owners Guide Pictures
[Re: ]
#1466578
04/01/2014 23:21
04/01/2014 23:21
|
Pinnin
Unregistered
|
Pinnin
Unregistered
|
Tbf if you purchase the book you would expect to have a decent quality of picture without also having to pay to be a member of the club?
I think the book is a great idea and well done for producing it but it would put me off buying it if I also had to pay to view useable pictures.
|
|
|
Re: Owners Guide Pictures
[Re: Kayjey]
#1466584
04/01/2014 23:52
04/01/2014 23:52
|
Pinnin
Unregistered
|
Pinnin
Unregistered
|
The pictures are usable. Some people just want high res pictures to look at. Do haynes manuals come with a DVD with high res pictures? The op sates that some of the pictures are too dark to be discernible. I repeat that I think the book is a great idea and that I'm sure a lot of work was put into it - but what is wrong with making them viewable by anybody who buys a copy of the book, why do they also have to be a member of the club? A simple password would work. Don't circle the wagons mate, I'm only making a point.
|
|
|
Re: Owners Guide Pictures
[Re: ]
#1466604
05/01/2014 03:06
05/01/2014 03:06
|
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 35 Oslo, Norway
ceg
Discoverer
|
Discoverer
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 35
Oslo, Norway
|
The pictures are usable. Some people just want high res pictures to look at. Do haynes manuals come with a DVD with high res pictures? The op sates that some of the pictures are too dark to be discernible. I repeat that I think the book is a great idea and that I'm sure a lot of work was put into it - but what is wrong with making them viewable by anybody who buys a copy of the book, why do they also have to be a member of the club? A simple password would work. Don't circle the wagons mate, I'm only making a point. Have you given any thoughts to selling the book as a pdf or in a drm-protected format? When it comes to the pictures, I have to agree with the op (but certainly the book is a great idea, as pinin says). The download from the members area brought my iPad down also, but so do some newspapers so perhaps it is time for me to upgrade anyway. However, a dedicated electronic version with colourful original pictures would be great! Carl
|
|
|
Re: Owners Guide Pictures
[Re: ]
#1466610
05/01/2014 10:43
05/01/2014 10:43
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 33,794 Berlin
barnacle
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
|
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
Forum Demigod
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 33,794
Berlin
|
Ok, let's try this... if you have a copy of the book, click here. which will take you to a login page. Use the email address ownersguide@dnbprojects.co.uk and for the password use the last word on page 110 (this may change from time to time), without any punctuation. That should give you access to the high-res images. Unfortunately the view doesn't include the names of the images until you select one, so you might have to count... We don't have any plans for releasing an ebook or pdf: for one thing, the file is in excess of a quarter-gig, and for the second the number of internal references make it significant work to rebuild an epub file to be simple to navigate - you can't really have page numbers in a streamed text.
Last edited by barnacle; 05/01/2014 10:44.
|
|
|
Re: Owners Guide Pictures
[Re: ]
#1466728
05/01/2014 23:43
05/01/2014 23:43
|
Downhillryder
Unregistered
|
Downhillryder
Unregistered
|
Joe & Neil - The pictures are brilliant - thank you
|
|
|
Re: Owners Guide Pictures
[Re: ]
#1466739
06/01/2014 02:12
06/01/2014 02:12
|
Hanny
Unregistered
|
Hanny
Unregistered
|
Hey Mr Barnacle, you said you would colour in a special edition copy (in pen, not crayon)- just for me, in return I'll put an add in "The" shoe shop window !!!
Last edited by Hanny; 06/01/2014 02:13.
|
|
|
Re: Owners Guide Pictures
[Re: barnacle]
#1466744
06/01/2014 03:01
06/01/2014 03:01
|
Lego
Unregistered
|
Lego
Unregistered
|
Ok, let's try this... if you have a copy of the book, click here. which will take you to a login page. Use the email address ownersguide@dnbprojects.co.uk and for the password use the last word on page 110 (this may change from time to time), without any punctuation. What if you want to view hi-res pics but your lying in in your nice warm bed reading this on your Ipad/Tablet/phone and can't be arsed to get up and look for the book that you haven't seen since before Xmas. Didn't think of that did you. There must be an easier way
Last edited by Lego; 06/01/2014 03:05.
|
|
|
Re: Owners Guide Pictures
[Re: ]
#1466756
06/01/2014 08:21
06/01/2014 08:21
|
Lego
Unregistered
|
Lego
Unregistered
|
|
|
|
|