Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,089 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,144
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,311
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,920
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Windscreen cracked #1570990
25/04/2016 10:30
25/04/2016 10:30
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,408
Essex
Trappy Offline OP
Club member 7306
Trappy  Offline OP
Club member 7306
Forum is my life

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,408
Essex
While driving on a local arterial yesterday, I came across a stretch of road littered with large sheets of cardboard. Having run the gauntlet for about a mile, I eventually caught up with a lorry and proceeded to pass it. A sheet in my lane was whipped up into the air by the lorry’s slipstream and then fell directly onto the bonnet, scuffing it, cracking the windscreen, scrubbing the roof and then sliding over the car to do the same to the bootlid.

The scuffs will polish out (hopefully) but the windscreen is pretty much cracked from left to right now. It’s got to be replaced and I’ll get on with that this afternoon, but is there a substantial risk that the screen will shatter if I continue driving it? Potholes in the area are terrible at the moment and even driving over speed bumps had me cringing it was going to shatter and fall in…

I would imagine the risk is increased but is it something that’s now pretty likely or am I just being paranoid?


F****** b****** thing...
Re: Windscreen cracked [Re: Trappy] #1570995
25/04/2016 10:41
25/04/2016 10:41
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,313
FCSS 01684 593187
Countrycruising Offline
Club member 914
Countrycruising  Offline
Club member 914
Forum veteran

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,313
FCSS 01684 593187
The front screen is laminated safety glass so there's no chance it'll just fall in.

Re: Windscreen cracked [Re: Trappy] #1571023
25/04/2016 14:10
25/04/2016 14:10
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386
Staffordshire
Nigel Offline
Forum veteran
Nigel  Offline
Forum veteran

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386
Staffordshire
No chance of it falling into the car without some serious help

I'd be speaking with the council or the Police to find out if they know the source of the road debris - you might be able to claim back the windscreen excess and the cost of the paint correction

Re: Windscreen cracked [Re: Trappy] #1571108
26/04/2016 09:50
26/04/2016 09:50

N
Nello
Unregistered
Nello
Unregistered
N



As per other threads I'd reccomend AA AutoWindscreens for the replacement. The pattern Screen and fitter I had were excellant thumb

Re: Windscreen cracked [Re: Trappy] #1571145
26/04/2016 15:52
26/04/2016 15:52
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,572
Northampton England
Sedicivalvole Offline
Forum is my life
Sedicivalvole  Offline
Forum is my life

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,572
Northampton England
Ouch

Sorry to read that... Not pleasant.

Originally Posted by Nigel

I'd be speaking with the council or the Police to find out if they know the source of the road debris - you might be able to claim back the windscreen excess and the cost of the paint correction


My thoughts exactly yes

Hello when did you have your screen changed?


Vinci Grey LE
Alfa 147 GTA 3.2 V6
BMW E92 M3 4.0 V8
Fiat Tipo Sedicivalvole 2.0 16v ABS
Re: Windscreen cracked [Re: Sedicivalvole] #1571167
26/04/2016 16:48
26/04/2016 16:48

N
Nello
Unregistered
Nello
Unregistered
N



Originally Posted by Sedicivalvole


Hello when did you have your screen changed?


Presume you mean me Sedici laugh - I had my screen about two years ago. Stone flew up from a lorry on the A46 and a crack gradually grew up along the bottom edge of the screen. A few Mill further up and it would've hit the wiper arm. I was a bit worried about getting the replacement done but the AA AutoW chap was excellant - a real expert and had done a couple of Coupes before. He knew the exact beed depth to fit and managed to re-use my original seal. I have had zero issues with it since done - you would struggle to know it was not the original screen if you had not noticed the missing F/I/A/T logo........

Re: Windscreen cracked [Re: Trappy] #1571172
26/04/2016 17:06
26/04/2016 17:06
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,572
Northampton England
Sedicivalvole Offline
Forum is my life
Sedicivalvole  Offline
Forum is my life

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,572
Northampton England
Ah the old autocorrect! laugh

Ah that is good to know, should the need arise! I had heard stories of water leaking etc


Vinci Grey LE
Alfa 147 GTA 3.2 V6
BMW E92 M3 4.0 V8
Fiat Tipo Sedicivalvole 2.0 16v ABS
Re: Windscreen cracked [Re: Trappy] #1571173
26/04/2016 17:12
26/04/2016 17:12

N
Nello
Unregistered
Nello
Unregistered
N



Yes I was nervous about that as well with comments on here. A long as you have a good fitter who uses the correct bead depth and if they can save the original seal like mine (they are not available OE anymore) - it should be fine.

Re: Windscreen cracked [Re: ] #1571175
26/04/2016 17:20
26/04/2016 17:20
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,408
Essex
Trappy Offline OP
Club member 7306
Trappy  Offline OP
Club member 7306
Forum is my life

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,408
Essex
I had a new windscreen fitted last year! frown


F****** b****** thing...

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.013s Queries: 14 (0.008s) Memory: 0.6306 MB (Peak: 0.7229 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 22:16:50 UTC