Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (phil16vturbo), 1,057 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,144
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,311
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,920
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
forum help #1640852
29/04/2020 17:35
29/04/2020 17:35
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 5,114
highlands
jimboy Offline OP
Club Member 857
jimboy  Offline OP
Club Member 857
Forum is my life

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 5,114
highlands
I would like to add some speakers to my laptop through the usb port, nothing too expensive, but I'd like a decent sound. I realise that I'm going to be limited sound wise. I've done all the detective work but with so much choice & conflicting views I'm non the wiser about my quest. Can anyone recommend what sounds good & what to keep clear of. Cheers... smile


I'm an old git & happy with it,most of the time
Re: forum help [Re: jimboy] #1640867
30/04/2020 10:53
30/04/2020 10:53
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 5,114
highlands
jimboy Offline OP
Club Member 857
jimboy  Offline OP
Club Member 857
Forum is my life

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 5,114
highlands
Anyone? wave


I'm an old git & happy with it,most of the time
Re: forum help [Re: jimboy] #1640868
30/04/2020 11:34
30/04/2020 11:34
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,920
Auld Reekie
Edinburgh Offline
Club President, member225
Edinburgh  Offline
Club President, member225
Forum veteran

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,920
Auld Reekie
Bose is quality equipment Jim, but it depends on your budget.

Bose Soundlink

Otherwise John Lewis and Currys do something for around £60 but I can't attest to their success...at least with JL you'll have a 2 year guarantee.


BumbleBee carer smile
Re: forum help [Re: Edinburgh] #1640869
30/04/2020 12:01
30/04/2020 12:01
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 5,114
highlands
jimboy Offline OP
Club Member 857
jimboy  Offline OP
Club Member 857
Forum is my life

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 5,114
highlands
Thanks for that Simon, the Bose although I could afford it, is really not worth it. I would have gone to Currys but I'm in strict lock in due to our son, my Daughter would never forgive me. I'll keep looking, after all I've plenty of time... nerd.


I'm an old git & happy with it,most of the time
Re: forum help [Re: jimboy] #1640871
30/04/2020 12:31
30/04/2020 12:31
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 22,311
Aldershot
PeteP Offline
Hon Club Member 005, Membership Secretary
PeteP  Offline
Hon Club Member 005, Membership Secretary
Forum Fossil

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 22,311
Aldershot
Currys are still delivering Jim even though their stores are closed.
Link.
Although they may not be doing deliveries everywhere I suppose.


16VT and X1/9 1500 + e208 Peugeot

We must all do our part for the planet.
I unplugged a row of electric cars that nobody was using.
I even unplugged my own.
Re: forum help [Re: PeteP] #1640873
30/04/2020 12:59
30/04/2020 12:59

J
JKD
Unregistered
JKD
Unregistered
J



As someone who has never personally used USB speakers, I'm wondering Jim, in this case, wouldn't it be acceptable to just use the standard audio jack? As per your requirements, wouldn't the sound be decent and you'd have a wider, more budget-friendly range of speakers?

Or are USB speakers much better sounding compared to equivalently priced audio jack speakers? So is it a case of, say you have £60 to spend, £60 USB speakers are much better compared to £60 audio jack speakers? So in that case you'd might as well get the USB speakers? confused

Re: forum help [Re: ] #1640876
30/04/2020 17:14
30/04/2020 17:14
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 5,114
highlands
jimboy Offline OP
Club Member 857
jimboy  Offline OP
Club Member 857
Forum is my life

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 5,114
highlands
Aye JKD, I'm learning all the time, I didn't realise that I indeed have a wee jack plug on my laptop.... rolleyes Still looking.


I'm an old git & happy with it,most of the time
Re: forum help [Re: jimboy] #1640877
30/04/2020 17:26
30/04/2020 17:26
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,920
Auld Reekie
Edinburgh Offline
Club President, member225
Edinburgh  Offline
Club President, member225
Forum veteran

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,920
Auld Reekie
Does it need to be portable Jim or can you just run a lead to your own sound system?


BumbleBee carer smile
Re: forum help [Re: jimboy] #1640882
30/04/2020 19:31
30/04/2020 19:31
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,207
ation
szkom Offline
Club member 2000
szkom  Offline
Club member 2000
Forum is my life

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,207
ation
Running with the thought above. If your laptop has Bluetooth and your telly/hifi/dvd has a line in option you can get a Bluetooth adapter that would plug in and allow you to stream from the laptop/smartphone. Not the last word in sound quality, but certainly passable. Even the cheaper import adapters have come on in recent years

Re: forum help [Re: jimboy] #1640885
30/04/2020 21:36
30/04/2020 21:36
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,309
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
andyps Offline
Club member 1482
andyps  Offline
Club member 1482
My job on the forum

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,309
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
I have a set of Bose speaker that use the audio jack on my laptop, they give excellent quality and volume of sound but were, I think, £180 from the Bose outlet in the designer outlet in York. Well worth it though.


Andy

[Linked Image]
Re: forum help [Re: jimboy] #1640886
30/04/2020 22:36
30/04/2020 22:36
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,613
S. Wales. Way beyond my means
Gripped Online content
Club member 1924
Gripped  Online Content
Club member 1924
Forum is my job

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,613
S. Wales. Way beyond my means
I recently bought a USB Bluetooth dongle. It was only a couple of quid and means my laptop now can connect to Bluetooth headphones, speakers and my turbo trainer in the shed laugh

Having Bluetooth will probably give more choice of speaker. And it's plug and play - very easy to use.

I've got a Denon portable speaker which has fantastic sound quality so can recommend them, though are a bit pricey I got mine half price. Here's a few which aren't too expensive.

speakers

Last edited by Gripped; 30/04/2020 22:47.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.013s Queries: 14 (0.008s) Memory: 0.6447 MB (Peak: 0.7467 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 21:21:17 UTC