» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 92 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics110,902
Posts1,315,266
Members2,212
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 32,444
stan 32,098
Theresa 22,989
bockers 21,027
PeteP 19,791
JimO 17,914
Nigel 17,234
Jim_Clennell 16,392
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Retirement #1643054
02/08/2020 13:05
02/08/2020 13:05
highlands
jimboy Offline OP
Club Member 857
jimboy  Offline OP
Club Member 857
Forum is my job

highlands
Letter came the other day about my private pension fund. Next January I turn 65 and what do you want to do. I don’t get the state pension until I’m 66, so for some reason I kind of was pleasantly surprised regarding private pension. Been paying a significant sum of money into it for a long time all through my time in the oil industry and very surprised what I have in the pot. smile I’ve been toying with retiring early during lock down. Our son needs shielding, and Ill health regarding my leg, also although I love my work as a care worker everything is done on line now, not the end of the world but they keep changing passwords and training on line is just a mini nightmare, well it is for me. It’s not rocket science, I’m continually cut off and I have to start from the beginning. Blah, blah. The simplist of things are just made more difficult.

I know my job backwards and without sounding big headed, I’m good at what I do, and I find it a pleasure. Had the big pow wow with my wife, she said just retire now, so that’s exactly what I’m going to do. Anyone else on here retired early, or thinking about it?

I'm an old git & happy with it,most of the time
Re: Retirement [Re: jimboy] #1643063
02/08/2020 14:57
02/08/2020 14:57
Auld Reekie
Edinburgh Offline
Club Board member
Edinburgh  Offline
Club Board member
I AM a Coop

Auld Reekie
If you feel relief Jim then yep I would say you've done the right thing. Circumstances have a habit of being a catalyst for big decisions, and the recent months of online activities are a bridge too far for some. Mrs Ed (also a piano teacher) has had to get stuck in with the hell that is Microsoft Teams whose installation took years off my life, followed by plenty more frustrating sessions of password-losing on other platforms.

In my profession, live one-to-one piano teaching has just not happened, and although many continue through Zoom, Facetime, Skype etc. the handful of lessons I've done in this way has been a disappointment for me as the sound - what it's all about - is so poor and subject to latency.

I retired from my school teaching a year ago and have been thankful I did before all this nonsense occurred! But in our job it's quite difficult to retire altogether so I'll go on for a bit yet, "lite".

Time for you now to enjoy quality time with family, your cracking coop and catching up on all those wee projects you've hidden under the carpet over the years - have fun!

Thanks again, Photobucket.
BumbleBee under restoration, emerging from lockdown smile
Re: Retirement [Re: jimboy] #1643066
02/08/2020 17:02
02/08/2020 17:02
S. Wales. Way beyond my means
Gripped Offline
Club Member
Gripped  Offline
Club Member
I need some sleep

S. Wales. Way beyond my means
I'm a a couple of decades off retirement yet, but I agree with the above. You've worked all your life for the pension, so the earlier you can enjoy it the better. No good waiting as you never know what's around the corner. Often it can be better financially to go a bit earlier if the investments come good.

If I had my way I'd go at 55. But unlikely I'll be done until 67... So a way to go yet.

Enjoy Jim. You've earned it.

Last edited by Gripped; 02/08/2020 17:02.
Re: Retirement [Re: jimboy] #1643076
03/08/2020 10:42
03/08/2020 10:42
highlands
jimboy Offline OP
Club Member 857
jimboy  Offline OP
Club Member 857
Forum is my job

highlands
Thanks chaps for the encouraging words. I’m at a bit of a crossroads and was airing my thoughts, lock down at the moment I’ve really no one apart from family to talk to, it’s helpful when you can blether to mates, but I’m not seeing any at the moment. The forum as usual comes up well smile

I'm an old git & happy with it,most of the time
Re: Retirement [Re: jimboy] #1643103
03/08/2020 22:16
03/08/2020 22:16
Glasgow,Near Florence..If only...
paul Offline
My life on the forum
paul  Offline
My life on the forum

Glasgow,Near Florence..If only...
Hi Jimboy,
I turned 63 in June !'ve been self employed all my life , my son now works in the business and is 30 next year ,lockdown meant I stayed off for almost 2 months ,this did two things ,it gave him and me the confidence ,that he can run the business and secondly , it was great to turn off totally to business and get up in the morning with my only thoughts being ...what will we do today (td by lockdown of course).

ive lost 2 of my best friends to the dreaded C .....and the time away from the biz, has made me realise he !!! what am I waiting for , my pension is more than adequate, and we have 4 properties we rent out that bring in a fair income with no borrowings...so money shouldn't be an issue......

my point being ,if you cam afford it Jim ,what are you waiting for ?? ,you have worked hard ,take the 'me' time now ,we don't know what's around the next bend ...........lockdown has made that clear to me , I'm now only doing 2x 6 hour shifts to make sure everything is ticking along nicely, all being well ,down to 1 shift by October, and by xmas all over me for ...so im keeping my fingers crossed it all goes according to plan .

Enjoy your ME time ...starting now wink

was Paul S,now just paul...Member since Oct 2000,Coupe may be FATALLY injured - :(oh no it's not smile
Re: Retirement [Re: jimboy] #1643110
Yesterday at 02:30
Yesterday at 02:30
North Wales
Theresa Offline
Former Presidentessa
Theresa  Offline
Former Presidentessa
Forum Fossil

North Wales
I agree with the others - if you can afford to retire, then do so and enjoy the time with your family and for yourself.

My Mum and Dad worked hard to have a nice future, but my Dad died at 46 years old, so my Mum was left to face that future on her own frown

You never know what's going to happen in the future, so take the opportunity to make the most of what you have now.

If you were ever at a loose end, there's always new hobbies you could take up, volunteering, etc. At least you won't be committed to having to go to work any more and you'll be able to live a nice, comfortable life and spend your time as you wish to smile

You've worked hard over the years for that pension, so take it if you can afford to smile

Re: Retirement [Re: jimboy] #1643138
Yesterday at 20:49
Yesterday at 20:49
Hemel in the Hempstead
barnacle Offline
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
barnacle  Offline
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
Forum Demigod

Hemel in the Hempstead
I retire in four weeks... it would have been earlier but the lockdown prevented the house selling sooner. I'm moving to Germany.

But my boss has already arranged with the contractors that the company uses to keep me working remotely for a couple of days a week, at least until January when the madness starts.

Best of luck with yours, Jim.

[Linked Image]
Don't get no respect! [b]Coupe Fiat 1994-2000 - an owner's guide[/b] <-- clicky!