Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,089 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,144
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,311
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,920
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
6 Speed Gearbox into 5 Speed #1643016
30/07/2020 22:28
30/07/2020 22:28
Joined: May 2020
Posts: 199
Surrey
D
darthstinky Offline OP
Club Member 1870
darthstinky  Offline OP
Club Member 1870
On a journey
D

Joined: May 2020
Posts: 199
Surrey
Good evening folks

Can you fit a 6 speed manual gearbox into a 5 speed car? Is it a direct replacment or does it require lots of re-engineering?

Kind regards,

DS


*******************************
20VT Money pit project status=starts, drives & MOTed! Happy Days.
Re: 6 Speed Gearbox into 5 Speed [Re: darthstinky] #1643017
30/07/2020 22:48
30/07/2020 22:48
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,920
Auld Reekie
Edinburgh Online content
Club President, member225
Edinburgh  Online Content
Club President, member225
Forum veteran

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,920
Auld Reekie
From what I've heard, no, not easily, but I know it has been done.

I believe it entails changing the steering rack but someone will come along and elaborate...


BumbleBee carer smile
Re: 6 Speed Gearbox into 5 Speed [Re: darthstinky] #1643020
31/07/2020 09:12
31/07/2020 09:12
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,224
norwich, norfolk
adam16vt Offline
My job on the forum
adam16vt  Offline
My job on the forum

Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,224
norwich, norfolk
As far as I’m aware it’s a straight swap assuming you have a later style 5 speed box with the 2 cables

If you have the 3 cable system I think it can still be swapped but you need to swap out the cables and that which involves dropping the transmission tunnel etc. Perfectly doable but a little more involved

I’ve only really seen the early style boxes on the p reg coupes, anything after that I think you’ll be fine. Easy to check, just remove the battery and battery tray

Adam

Re: 6 Speed Gearbox into 5 Speed [Re: darthstinky] #1643022
31/07/2020 10:12
31/07/2020 10:12

G
GrahamL
Unregistered
GrahamL
Unregistered
G



The aircon drier filter needs moved slightly otherwise the 6 speed box can end up rubbing a hole in it. That was the only problem I remember from the one coupe I know of that had this conversion done.

Re: 6 Speed Gearbox into 5 Speed [Re: darthstinky] #1643024
31/07/2020 11:36
31/07/2020 11:36
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386
Staffordshire
Nigel Offline
Forum veteran
Nigel  Offline
Forum veteran

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386
Staffordshire
I had the 5-speed box swapped for a 6-speed in my old Sprint Blue

Although I didn't do the swap (Motormech did it), I believe it was pretty much a straight swap with no problems

Transformed the car too, as it made top-gear cruising a bit less frantic (which was useful, as I was doing 30,000+ miles a year in it)

Re: 6 Speed Gearbox into 5 Speed [Re: darthstinky] #1643025
31/07/2020 11:49
31/07/2020 11:49
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,920
Auld Reekie
Edinburgh Online content
Club President, member225
Edinburgh  Online Content
Club President, member225
Forum veteran

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,920
Auld Reekie
Try contacting F1ANG on here.....


BumbleBee carer smile
Re: 6 Speed Gearbox into 5 Speed [Re: darthstinky] #1643037
01/08/2020 06:57
01/08/2020 06:57
Joined: May 2020
Posts: 199
Surrey
D
darthstinky Offline OP
Club Member 1870
darthstinky  Offline OP
Club Member 1870
On a journey
D

Joined: May 2020
Posts: 199
Surrey
Morning Folks

Thanks for the replies and it sounds promising smile

Will start looking for a 6 speed gearbox!

Kind regards

DS


*******************************
20VT Money pit project status=starts, drives & MOTed! Happy Days.
Re: 6 Speed Gearbox into 5 Speed [Re: darthstinky] #1643040
01/08/2020 08:16
01/08/2020 08:16
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386
Staffordshire
Nigel Offline
Forum veteran
Nigel  Offline
Forum veteran

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386
Staffordshire
Originally Posted by darthstinky
Will start looking for a 6 speed gearbox!


I would suggest that this is going to be the hardest part of the entire process....

Re: 6 Speed Gearbox into 5 Speed [Re: Nigel] #1643041
01/08/2020 11:38
01/08/2020 11:38
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,224
norwich, norfolk
adam16vt Offline
My job on the forum
adam16vt  Offline
My job on the forum

Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,224
norwich, norfolk
Originally Posted by Nigel
Originally Posted by darthstinky
Will start looking for a 6 speed gearbox!


I would suggest that this is going to be the hardest part of the entire process....


Not really, I’ve got 2 6 speeds here BUT there is a caveat.

Both were removed from non runners (the rustiest cars I’ve seen) and are both subsequently untested. One has an indicated 93k and the other 110k

Re: 6 Speed Gearbox into 5 Speed [Re: Nigel] #1643277
08/08/2020 08:43
08/08/2020 08:43
Joined: May 2020
Posts: 199
Surrey
D
darthstinky Offline OP
Club Member 1870
darthstinky  Offline OP
Club Member 1870
On a journey
D

Joined: May 2020
Posts: 199
Surrey
Originally Posted by Nigel
Originally Posted by darthstinky
Will start looking for a 6 speed gearbox!


I would suggest that this is going to be the hardest part of the entire process....


I don’t doubt that (plus I’m a skinflint, so that makes the job even more interesting L) )

Thanks for all the replies!

DS


*******************************
20VT Money pit project status=starts, drives & MOTed! Happy Days.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.016s Queries: 14 (0.011s) Memory: 0.6390 MB (Peak: 0.7348 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 22:08:49 UTC