Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,089 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,144
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,311
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,920
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Advice on selling a dying coupe? #1648035
20/01/2021 17:34
20/01/2021 17:34

D
Dan_B
Unregistered
Dan_B
Unregistered
D



Hey All,

I have reached an unfortunate stage where my coop has given up. Started up the the other day and while it will start it dies very soon after with revs dropping into the <500 range so I usually cut it off at that point. Holding the throttle open doesn't really help either aside for the very first moments.

Unfortunately having spent quite a bit on keeping it in a fairly good shape and running over the last couple years I can't commit much more to it. I expect the car may need an engine rebuild at this stage and having COVID strangle my work I definitely cannot afford that (or to have the issue diagnosed & fixed).

Feel awful about the idea of scrapping it due to full history, keys, and all the other original booklets etc, but don't imagine there is much of a market for coop non-starters. Any advice from you guys on what you would do with this?

Absolutely in love with the car but have to face the facts, I need money and the best value may be in removing the alloys and radiator (both mint & upmarket) scrapping the car and selling those bits separately.

Re: Advice on selling a dying coupe? [Re: ] #1648038
20/01/2021 18:46
20/01/2021 18:46
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,313
FCSS 01684 593187
Countrycruising Offline
Club member 914
Countrycruising  Offline
Club member 914
Forum veteran

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,313
FCSS 01684 593187
Other then it cutting out what's up with?

I might be interested in it as a parts car.

Re: Advice on selling a dying coupe? [Re: ] #1648039
20/01/2021 18:55
20/01/2021 18:55
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 8,921
Lightwater, Surrey
DaveG Offline
Club Treasurer Member 311
DaveG  Offline
Club Treasurer Member 311
Je suis un Coupé

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 8,921
Lightwater, Surrey
How much time have you spent diagnosing and troubleshooting the problem(s) with help from the Forum? It could be something as simple as a loose hose on the inlet air piping from turbo via intercooler to ICV...


1996 Portofino 20vt & 2000 Pearl White Plus
2008 Ferrari F430 & 2017 Fiat 124 Spider
Re: Advice on selling a dying coupe? [Re: ] #1648042
20/01/2021 19:15
20/01/2021 19:15
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,224
norwich, norfolk
adam16vt Offline
My job on the forum
adam16vt  Offline
My job on the forum

Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,224
norwich, norfolk
Have pm’d you smile

Re: Advice on selling a dying coupe? [Re: ] #1648060
21/01/2021 12:11
21/01/2021 12:11
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,078
Dorchester
R
respace Online content
Enjoying the ride
respace  Online Content
Enjoying the ride
R

Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,078
Dorchester
The fault you describe doesn't sound that horrendous, obviously depends on what else is wrong/condition etc. It's usually rust not mechanicals that finishes them off.

Don't know if it's any use to you but there is a non-running 16vt on Ebay for £2k.

Re: Advice on selling a dying coupe? [Re: ] #1648061
21/01/2021 12:31
21/01/2021 12:31
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,920
Auld Reekie
Edinburgh Online content
Club President, member225
Edinburgh  Online Content
Club President, member225
Forum veteran

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,920
Auld Reekie
Originally Posted by Dan_B
Hey All,

I have reached an unfortunate stage where my coop has given up. Started up the the other day and while it will start it dies very soon after with revs dropping into the <500 range so I usually cut it off at that point. Holding the throttle open doesn't really help either aside for the very first moments.

Unfortunately having spent quite a bit on keeping it in a fairly good shape and running over the last couple years I can't commit much more to it. I expect the car may need an engine rebuild at this stage and having COVID strangle my work I definitely cannot afford that (or to have the issue diagnosed & fixed).

Feel awful about the idea of scrapping it due to full history, keys, and all the other original booklets etc, but don't imagine there is much of a market for coop non-starters. Any advice from you guys on what you would do with this?

Absolutely in love with the car but have to face the facts, I need money and the best value may be in removing the alloys and radiator (both mint & upmarket) scrapping the car and selling those bits separately.


Dan_B, I understand your dilemma. Please take a moment to read through the aims of our club, which I quote here:

Started in 2002 to ensure the longevity of its members' cars. Run by its members and under the form of a non profit organisation, it promotes the cars via close relationships with magazines, runs the Forum where owners can share knowledge and experiences, arranges meetings, offers help with modifications and further develops the cars and replacements parts.

What contributors to your thread have pointed out is that, in the context of the above quote referring to the desire to keep coupés healthy and running for as long as possible, your problem may not be insurmountable.

Almost anything is repairable, even the devastation that aggressive tin-worm wreaks on certain target points. The chances of a solution to your problem, which is either mechanical or electrical, are likely to be far higher unless you have a catastrophic engine failure - but even that can be attended to.

Talking of breaking or scrapping on here is done through clenched teeth in accordance with the ethos stated above. There is so much experience on this forum, compared to the dwindling knowledge of coupé maintenance around the country, that it would surprise me if an answer or at least a lead were not forthcoming.

Long live the Fiat Coupé smile


BumbleBee carer smile
Re: Advice on selling a dying coupe? [Re: Edinburgh] #1648068
21/01/2021 19:36
21/01/2021 19:36

D
Dan_B
Unregistered
Dan_B
Unregistered
D



Hi guys,

Apologies for not being straight back to you, had a bit of DIY that needed some urgent attention!

@Edinburgh Many thanks for the advice! I fully appreciate the aim of the club and sentiment of its goals in ensuring the longevity of the vehicles. I do not bring up scrapping the car with ease as it certainly has a place in my heart, however with things being rather tight at the moment I am unsure if I can still finance maintaining the car even if I can finance the diagnostic and repairs - though perhaps I am having a bit of a knee-jerk reaction!

I understand the common faults are often not mechanical with these cars as mentioned above, though I had originally bought the car with a friend that was much more mechanically minded than myself. He had the tools, general know-how and space to work on the car properly but now I am the sole owner. Sucks to admit but I am not educated enough or have the equipment to start pulling it apart solo and actually know what I'm looking at. I couldn't risk the potential massive amount of hours required to pay for a diagnosis, if a lot of disassembly is required.

As members are showing some interest in the car I will take some pictures and do a proper run-down when it is light tomorrow morning so there is more information for you.

Re: Advice on selling a dying coupe? [Re: ] #1648072
21/01/2021 21:27
21/01/2021 21:27
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,920
Auld Reekie
Edinburgh Online content
Club President, member225
Edinburgh  Online Content
Club President, member225
Forum veteran

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,920
Auld Reekie
Originally Posted by Dan_B
Hi guys,

Apologies for not being straight back to you, had a bit of DIY that needed some urgent attention!

@Edinburgh Many thanks for the advice! I fully appreciate the aim of the club and sentiment of its goals in ensuring the longevity of the vehicles. I do not bring up scrapping the car with ease as it certainly has a place in my heart, however with things being rather tight at the moment I am unsure if I can still finance maintaining the car even if I can finance the diagnostic and repairs - though perhaps I am having a bit of a knee-jerk reaction!

I understand the common faults are often not mechanical with these cars as mentioned above, though I had originally bought the car with a friend that was much more mechanically minded than myself. He had the tools, general know-how and space to work on the car properly but now I am the sole owner. Sucks to admit but I am not educated enough or have the equipment to start pulling it apart solo and actually know what I'm looking at. I couldn't risk the potential massive amount of hours required to pay for a diagnosis, if a lot of disassembly is required.

As members are showing some interest in the car I will take some pictures and do a proper run-down when it is light tomorrow morning so there is more information for you.


Best post in Technical for that then thumb


BumbleBee carer smile
Re: Advice on selling a dying coupe? [Re: Countrycruising] #1648082
21/01/2021 23:28
21/01/2021 23:28
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,313
FCSS 01684 593187
Countrycruising Offline
Club member 914
Countrycruising  Offline
Club member 914
Forum veteran

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,313
FCSS 01684 593187
Originally Posted by Countrycruising
Other then it cutting out what's up with? .


Dan I'm still very interested to know more, or help so do please give me a call, I'd rather see it survive in comparison to possibly being parts!


Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.013s Queries: 14 (0.009s) Memory: 0.6364 MB (Peak: 0.7336 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 22:09:22 UTC