Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,238 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,144
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,311
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,920
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Coupe 4WD, Grale fuel tank ? #1651355
11/06/2021 11:11
11/06/2021 11:11
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,897
New Zealand
Saint Offline OP
My life on the forum
Saint  Offline OP
My life on the forum

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,897
New Zealand
I think this is a real long shot, but does anyone know if a grale fuel tank will fit in the rear of a coupe

I have a 4WD coupe, yet to run but all the ones I have seen finished have either a fuel cell in the boot, or a OEM style tank out of something else strapped in the boot (which is what I will do)

But someone asked me if a Grale tank will fit, I have no idea but I would say no as the floor pan is very different as I understand it. I dont want to look like a fool later for having not asked if it is doable but the pics I have seen make the grale tank look like 2 quite square boxes which I think go under each rear seat with a hoop section over the driveshaft - my feeling is the coupe under rear floor area is much more angular as the 155 Q4 which my car has the running gear from has a large tank rearward of the diff, not under seats which likely tells a story. The coupe body is too short by comparison with the sedan for it fit without that large trunk

Anyway - can anyone confirm so at least I have ruled it out before I sacrifice my boot space.

Grale tank shape for reference

ebay link

Cheers

Last edited by Edinburgh; 11/06/2021 11:23. Reason: fixed link

Re: Coupe 4WD, Grale fuel tank ? [Re: Saint] #1651437
15/06/2021 06:16
15/06/2021 06:16
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,897
New Zealand
Saint Offline OP
My life on the forum
Saint  Offline OP
My life on the forum

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,897
New Zealand
Hi

Well it seems this is a bit of an out there project to be known - I suspect its a no to fitment for the reasons above

In case anyone searches this out later I have found the Delta 2, which some suggested may fit, would need as a minimum the boot floor replacing and even then it looks pretty "deep", also it would take up the muffler area

Pics attached of the Delta 2 floor and tank for others in the 4WD build process

So it seems like a tank in the boot is the only option - nothing OEM will fit underfloor with 4WD on the coupe body shell?








Attached Files
IMG_7301.JPG (168 downloads)
IMG_7308.JPG (168 downloads)
IMG_7312.JPG (166 downloads)
IMG_7321.JPG (162 downloads)
Last edited by Saint; 15/06/2021 10:55.

Re: Coupe 4WD, Grale fuel tank ? [Re: Saint] #1651600
23/06/2021 08:58
23/06/2021 08:58
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,897
New Zealand
Saint Offline OP
My life on the forum
Saint  Offline OP
My life on the forum

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,897
New Zealand
Well, and also the grale tank wont fit, the Q4 conversion uses a large rear subframe with trailing links the Grale doesn't have - it rather has a carrier for the rear diff and tubular suspension. The trailing link arrangement hits on the tank ends so an in boot or custom are the only options. I am using a Toyota Soarer tank in the boot

Pics to follow at some stage in the hope it helps someone

Cheers


Re: Coupe 4WD, Grale fuel tank ? [Re: Saint] #1652230
31/07/2021 07:29
31/07/2021 07:29
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 288
Germany
Stichl Offline
Making a profit
Stichl  Offline
Making a profit

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 288
Germany
Sorry read too late. The tank of the Delta 2 fits, but only of the version with the spare wheel upright in the trunk. Here you have to cut away the filler neck and to do some rework, otherwise it should fit. This tank does not reach over the rear axle. Greetings Jürgen


20VT coupegrale 4x4
Re: Coupe 4WD, Grale fuel tank ? [Re: Saint] #1652231
31/07/2021 08:39
31/07/2021 08:39
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,897
New Zealand
Saint Offline OP
My life on the forum
Saint  Offline OP
My life on the forum

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,897
New Zealand
Thanks Jurgen

That must be different to the one above from the Delta 2? anyway it has been a much so I have made a toyota tank fit - it works fine

Cheers



Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.015s Queries: 15 (0.010s) Memory: 0.6167 MB (Peak: 0.6847 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 22:45:03 UTC