Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Robski1337), 1,372 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,144
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,311
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,920
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
FMIC tuning questions #494723
30/11/2007 16:21
30/11/2007 16:21
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,241
Anywhere that has roads
W
Welformed Offline OP
Forum is my life
Welformed  Offline OP
Forum is my life
W

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,241
Anywhere that has roads
Mainly - I want an EVO IC, what version would you lot recommend? And IC that will handle over 400Bhp.

Secondly and my main headache, (and the bit I don't quite "get") where can I get the piping to fit the Coop? Is there a place where I can get the piping in the right lengths, diameters with all the right bends?

Also with a GT2871R I need a 3in SIP, right?


A 340Bhp, 300lb/ft powered thread hijacker
Re: FMIC tuning questions [Re: Welformed] #494726
30/11/2007 16:24
30/11/2007 16:24

K
Kenno
Unregistered
Kenno
Unregistered
K



Why not buy the ProAlloy kit and you have everything you need to fit it?

Re: FMIC tuning questions [Re: ] #494729
30/11/2007 16:25
30/11/2007 16:25
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,241
Anywhere that has roads
W
Welformed Offline OP
Forum is my life
Welformed  Offline OP
Forum is my life
W

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,241
Anywhere that has roads
I thought about that and in hindsight, probably should've bought this on the last GB, but I bottled it on it's possible limits. rolleyes


A 340Bhp, 300lb/ft powered thread hijacker
Re: FMIC tuning questions [Re: Welformed] #494801
30/11/2007 17:56
30/11/2007 17:56

M
MattW
Unregistered
MattW
Unregistered
M



I'd imagine you'd just need to raid ebay for different pieces of silicone boost pipe (3" I think), then just fabricate your own route. Evo 6 intercooler seems to be the most popular choice.

Re: FMIC tuning questions [Re: ] #494807
30/11/2007 18:00
30/11/2007 18:00

1
13ad13oy
Unregistered
13ad13oy
Unregistered
1



Demon tweeks, merlin etc all sell bits of silicone hose I think you need 68mm (2.5") IIRC for the evo intercooler and it will handle more than 400hp - as proven by Flea.

You'll probably need a few bits of tube too, but one of those kind of companys will be able to help.

I'm sure Nobby made a list of "the bits you need" - Will see if I can find it

Re: FMIC tuning questions [Re: ] #494995
30/11/2007 22:34
30/11/2007 22:34
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,241
Anywhere that has roads
W
Welformed Offline OP
Forum is my life
Welformed  Offline OP
Forum is my life
W

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,241
Anywhere that has roads
Flea only has 2.5" pipework? Thought it might be wider than that.


A 340Bhp, 300lb/ft powered thread hijacker
Re: FMIC tuning questions [Re: Welformed] #495001
30/11/2007 22:46
30/11/2007 22:46

1
13ad13oy
Unregistered
13ad13oy
Unregistered
1



Sorry no that wasn't what I ment exactly, Flea's using the Evo Intercooler and running silly power was what i was trying to say.

But the outlets on the Evo intercooler are 68mm smile So I assume he is. Sure he will clarify if not

Re: FMIC tuning questions [Re: ] #495020
30/11/2007 23:26
30/11/2007 23:26

M
MattW
Unregistered
MattW
Unregistered
M



sorry I got that wrong, my SIP is 3", intercooler piping is 2.5" smile

Re: FMIC tuning questions [Re: ] #495326
01/12/2007 20:52
01/12/2007 20:52

B
benmuir
Unregistered
benmuir
Unregistered
B



I currently have an EVO 8 in the garage and the internal diameter is 64mm, therefore 2.5(64mm) diameter piping is what you need. Good thing is as well is the 90 degree bend from turbo to intercooler is also 64mm so you can use this if needed. I bought the silicone (4 ply) from japan good quality (various 64mm connectors, a 70mm to 64mm connector for the inlet manifold and a couple of 90 degree bends) and got pipework made in work.

Re: FMIC tuning questions [Re: ] #495846
03/12/2007 05:10
03/12/2007 05:10

N
Nobby
Unregistered
Nobby
Unregistered
N



Originally Posted by 13ad13oy
I'm sure Nobby made a list of "the bits you need" - Will see if I can find it


Here

Re: FMIC tuning questions [Re: ] #496065
03/12/2007 19:51
03/12/2007 19:51

J
JohnS
Unregistered
JohnS
Unregistered
J



I would go for a genuine evo intercooler over a pro-alloy one personally. It will work out cheaper in the end as well and you will wind up with a better intercooler IMHO wink


Re: FMIC tuning questions [Re: ] #496070
03/12/2007 20:00
03/12/2007 20:00

J
JohnS
Unregistered
JohnS
Unregistered
J



Nobby,

I like your diagram, but I think you can do it in less bends. laugh
It is possible to use a 135 degree wide angle bend off the other side of the intercooler depending on its outlet angle and then a 60 degree bend onto the black plastic pipe (you need to unbolt the plastic pipe and let it point more downward). I run mine like that but I cannot use the 135 degree bend as my intercooler is too far over to the right.

There is another way of piping it through the chasis member (Barbz does it like this) which again reduces it to 2x90 degrees off the intercooler to the black plastic piece but I've never seen a car done that way.

Re: FMIC tuning questions [Re: ] #496106
03/12/2007 21:03
03/12/2007 21:03

N
Nobby
Unregistered
Nobby
Unregistered
N



Glad you like my diagram John. My chargecooler means I need 2x 90 deg pipes at the top (its longer and sticks out further than the black plastic pipe).

Agree about the lower 135 deg pipe though

Chris

Re: FMIC tuning questions [Re: ] #496122
03/12/2007 21:30
03/12/2007 21:30

J
JohnS
Unregistered
JohnS
Unregistered
J



yeah in which case you would need 2x90 degree bends there smile

Re: FMIC tuning questions [Re: ] #496158
03/12/2007 22:37
03/12/2007 22:37
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386
Staffordshire
Nigel Offline
Forum veteran
Nigel  Offline
Forum veteran

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386
Staffordshire
I'm sure JohnS is right in that an EVO IC will be a slightly cheaper deal and a slightly better IC

However, my ProAlloy is happily handling over 400bhp. I've never seen more than about 45 degrees, even in the height of summer, running 1.6 bar for a mile at TOTB

In the current weather, I can't get above 25 degrees

The undoubted beauty of the ProAlloy is that apart from the bumper hack, its a bolt-on solution - no need to source pipes, bends or brackets

Re: FMIC tuning questions [Re: Nigel] #496167
03/12/2007 22:46
03/12/2007 22:46
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,241
Anywhere that has roads
W
Welformed Offline OP
Forum is my life
Welformed  Offline OP
Forum is my life
W

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,241
Anywhere that has roads
Booom! Well that's gone right over my head!

Even with the diagram (which is cool) I can't picture how that all physically fits. Literally taken - which I'm not, and that makes it harder when you've never seen round the back of the turbo to have an idea where all these pipes go, nor have a ramp - it looks more like a guide to fit a SMIC.

So with straight induction where are you moving the A/F to? Sort of behind the left front light?

EDIT: So fomr what I can gather it looks like you need to grab a load of piping and connect it up like lego until it fits? Major rse.

Suddenly the Pro Alloy looks like a decent option... Does that have in and out piping on the same side of the IC?


A 340Bhp, 300lb/ft powered thread hijacker
Re: FMIC tuning questions [Re: Welformed] #496192
03/12/2007 23:16
03/12/2007 23:16

E
elder81
Unregistered
elder81
Unregistered
E



Bloody hell, I actually understand that diagram and can picture where it all goes!

Re: FMIC tuning questions [Re: Welformed] #496202
03/12/2007 23:37
03/12/2007 23:37

M
MattW
Unregistered
MattW
Unregistered
M



Originally Posted by Welformed
Suddenly the Pro Alloy looks like a decent option... Does that have in and out piping on the same side of the IC?


No, pro alloy is in one side out the other, same as the Evo.

The dual pass one with in and out on the same side is the Pace FMIC which is pants in comparison.

With a straight induction pipe the air filter goes tucked inside the front bumper, in front of the wheel arch, low down.


Re: FMIC tuning questions [Re: ] #496264
04/12/2007 00:54
04/12/2007 00:54
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,241
Anywhere that has roads
W
Welformed Offline OP
Forum is my life
Welformed  Offline OP
Forum is my life
W

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,241
Anywhere that has roads
Ah right I'm with you now. So it is kinda rough scale diagram than a pure 'metaphoric' diagram. Photos would help though.

I suppose my original question should be; can someone tell me what piping I need?!


A 340Bhp, 300lb/ft powered thread hijacker
Re: FMIC tuning questions [Re: Welformed] #496303
04/12/2007 01:36
04/12/2007 01:36

O
owl10
Unregistered
owl10
Unregistered
O



WF, the airflow thingy goes near where the standard side mount locates. Try and keep it the right way up though as mine complained a bit when it wasnt at the correct angle

Re: FMIC tuning questions [Re: ] #496341
04/12/2007 02:27
04/12/2007 02:27

C
Coupe_Don
Unregistered
Coupe_Don
Unregistered
C



Barbz gave me a list of the piping required to fit my evo 7 fmic (been left sitting on a cupboard for a year atleast), im not sure but I think the 8 is the same? The the piping suggested though requires you to cut one of the nozzles off and re-attach it so it faces the car, I also had some metal connecting pipes made up which are now also collecting dust!

Re: FMIC tuning questions [Re: ] #496519
04/12/2007 16:14
04/12/2007 16:14

1
13ad13oy
Unregistered
13ad13oy
Unregistered
1



Pretty much certain that the E V VI VII VIII are all the same and the design was changed at IX.

^^ think that cutting and moving would make things a bit easier as on the intercooler both inlets point downwards but it would probably be easier to fit if the side heading towards the inlet was pointing up... If that makes sense crazy

Re: FMIC tuning questions [Re: ] #496526
04/12/2007 16:19
04/12/2007 16:19

1
13ad13oy
Unregistered
13ad13oy
Unregistered
1




Re: FMIC tuning questions [Re: ] #496561
04/12/2007 17:14
04/12/2007 17:14

M
MattW
Unregistered
MattW
Unregistered
M



is it possible to take the end off and put it back on upside down, or is it all one solid piece?

Re: FMIC tuning questions [Re: ] #496570
04/12/2007 17:31
04/12/2007 17:31

1
13ad13oy
Unregistered
13ad13oy
Unregistered
1



Welded

Re: FMIC tuning questions [Re: ] #496776
04/12/2007 21:36
04/12/2007 21:36
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,241
Anywhere that has roads
W
Welformed Offline OP
Forum is my life
Welformed  Offline OP
Forum is my life
W

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,241
Anywhere that has roads
Hmm... you reckon Rog would fit something like this if I gave him the parts?

Also, how does the IC sit in place? Is it suspended on the piping or should you put some make-shift mounts together?


A 340Bhp, 300lb/ft powered thread hijacker
Re: FMIC tuning questions [Re: Welformed] #496791
04/12/2007 21:41
04/12/2007 21:41

S
suba
Unregistered
suba
Unregistered
S



yes - rog will do it if you supply the parts. You can make up brackets if you want - or metal cable ties do the job as well.

Re: FMIC tuning questions [Re: ] #497106
05/12/2007 04:17
05/12/2007 04:17
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,241
Anywhere that has roads
W
Welformed Offline OP
Forum is my life
Welformed  Offline OP
Forum is my life
W

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,241
Anywhere that has roads
Well I think I might get him to do that plus my paddle clutch I'll be ordering soon.

I rekcon even I can handle the Gtec 2 fitting, being a computer techy afterall... wink


A 340Bhp, 300lb/ft powered thread hijacker
Re: FMIC tuning questions [Re: ] #497204
05/12/2007 13:40
05/12/2007 13:40

J
JohnS
Unregistered
JohnS
Unregistered
J



Originally Posted by 13ad13oy
Pretty much certain that the E V VI VII VIII are all the same and the design was changed at IX.

^^ think that cutting and moving would make things a bit easier as on the intercooler both inlets point downwards but it would probably be easier to fit if the side heading towards the inlet was pointing up... If that makes sense crazy


7,8 are definitely different to 6. I think 9 is the same as 8 as I sold a 9 one relatively recently

Re: FMIC tuning questions [Re: ] #497335
05/12/2007 16:32
05/12/2007 16:32

M
MattW
Unregistered
MattW
Unregistered
M



I always see them advertised as a 4/5/6 cooler or a 7/8/9 cooler, so I guess thats where they changed the design.

Remember to book a RR session after you install the gtech 2. smile


Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.018s Queries: 14 (0.012s) Memory: 0.7015 MB (Peak: 0.8963 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 22:52:33 UTC