|
1 registered members (1 invisible),
577
guests, and 4
spiders. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums48
Topics103,722
Posts1,170,104
Members1,659
| |
Most Online39,516 Apr 16th, 2026
|
|
|
Winter Coupisms
#501608
12/12/2007 23:54
12/12/2007 23:54
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,707 Gone
Jimbo
OP
Je suis un Coupé
|
OP
Je suis un Coupé
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,707
Gone
|
Don't you just love the little quirks the coupe has in winter. This morning I walked out to my frozen coupe on the drive 10 minutes early because I knew it was a cold night. First of all the central locking wouldn't let me in because the lock was frozen solid so I heated up the key and that did the business- I was in  The winscreen was frozen solid so I set about scraping off the ice..... whats this, the ice isn't shifting, its on the inside too  So I started her up and set the climate control to Max Defrost and went for a cup of tea. 10 minutes later as I towled down the dashboard of all the melted ice and I was ready for off. By this time the fuel light had come on so I popped into the BP garage for some superunleaded at £1.09 ltr  Went to open the fuel cap and way hey, that was frozen shut too. A squirt of anti-freeze and I was in, as was the fuel. The car was constantly steaming up as soon as the engine went off so I thought I'd look into the reason. Lifted the pasenger side mat and the carpet was soaked Its now sat outside with the hairdryer on an extension lead drying the car out. God only know what the neighbours must think Im up to  At least I got away with a non frozen handbrake or it would have been a full house. Has anyone else had a full house of winter coupisms yet ?
|
|
|
Re: Winter Coupisms
[Re: Jimbo]
#501622
13/12/2007 00:28
13/12/2007 00:28
|
DanDan
Unregistered
|
DanDan
Unregistered
|
I got my key stuck in the petrol cap as it managed to freeze in there on a chilly night while trying to open it and fill up. De icer did the trick. No frozen handbrake yet. I only leave it 1 click on now after what happened earlier this year on a frosty night. Took me an hour to move the car off the drive!! 
|
|
|
Re: Winter Coupisms
[Re: ]
#501628
13/12/2007 00:46
13/12/2007 00:46
|
Whittler
Unregistered
|
Whittler
Unregistered
|
Doors frozen shut - check Ice on inside of windscreen - check Battery low on charge, labouring turn-over - check Handbrake left off night before, so not frozen on - check Pull out on to road, car very sluggish, rear brakes frozen on after using them once - check  Got to love cars designed for the Mediterranean climate 
|
|
|
Re: Winter Coupisms
[Re: ]
#501726
13/12/2007 04:43
13/12/2007 04:43
|
lickyl
Unregistered
|
lickyl
Unregistered
|
frozen locks check frozen brakes check late for work check lots of beers after work check spend more money on coupe this week check
|
|
|
Re: Winter Coupisms
[Re: phil_20VT]
#501994
13/12/2007 19:21
13/12/2007 19:21
|
Lucifer
Unregistered
|
Lucifer
Unregistered
|
Sorry this is slightly off topic, but phil_20VT, just out of interest, your reg number isn't R770 KBU is it? Looks a lot like it from your pic (how good is my eyesight?!  ) and if so, that was the first Coupe I ever drove  Probably isn't tho, so complete waste of time if that's the case!!  PS if you want me to delete your reg number from this post I will do, but I figured if you'd got it on your sig pic then you probably wouldn't mind.. 
|
|
|
Re: Winter Coupisms
[Re: ]
#502006
13/12/2007 19:39
13/12/2007 19:39
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 5,895 2011 and 2015 FCCUK F1 Champ.
bezzer
Forum is my life
|
Forum is my life
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 5,895
2011 and 2015 FCCUK F1 Champ.
|
Frozen locks - No Frozen Handbrake - No Frozen rear brakes - No Frozen Petrol Cap - No Iced up windscreen (inside) - No Wet Carpet - No Oh hang on, I sold my coupe earlier this year  Fortunately my Scoob can cope with a little bit of frost 
 ......My Boy...... (PB #7)
|
|
|
Re: Winter Coupisms
[Re: Jimbo]
#502011
13/12/2007 19:43
13/12/2007 19:43
|
Leckypete
Unregistered
|
Leckypete
Unregistered
|
Have been getting a lift to work in a coleagues car but had to take mine yesterday, came out at end of 3-11 shift, doors frozen shut  Central locking solonoid could be heard on passenger side (must have been sheltered a bit that side) got passenger door open & opened drivers door from inside. Have been out this morning & given all locks a dose of WD40  Only use handbrake if on a slope so avoiding that issue. Bit of ice on inside of front screen but not too bad. Polish guy at work says there winters much worse, once car was buried under 3m of snow! Thinks theres a few coupes in Poland so wonder how they get on?
|
|
|
Re: Winter Coupisms
[Re: oxfordSteve]
#502073
13/12/2007 21:59
13/12/2007 21:59
|
ally_f
Unregistered
|
ally_f
Unregistered
|
Frozen doors / locks - Check Frozen Fuel Filler - Check Drips from rear view mirror area 10 mins after setting off - Check and a bit worrying, hoping its condensation from the screen or something! Broken aircon and misting - check
havent had the handbrake cable problem...so far!
to be honest tho my biggest winter moan is cold leather in the morning!
|
|
|
Re: Winter Coupisms
[Re: ]
#502118
13/12/2007 23:02
13/12/2007 23:02
|
veggy
Unregistered
|
veggy
Unregistered
|
to be honest tho my biggest winter moan is cold leather in the morning! That's what comes of taking chaps to bed!
|
|
|
Re: Winter Coupisms
[Re: ]
#502145
13/12/2007 23:28
13/12/2007 23:28
|
Damo
Unregistered
|
Damo
Unregistered
|
None of the above thanks to the coupe now being a Focus.
The Cobra (real coupe replacement) lives in the garage and doesn't have to go out in the cold, on the plus side though, I could vault over the doors and the windscreen has no in/outside as there are no side windows or indeed a roof
|
|
|
Re: Winter Coupisms
[Re: ]
#502156
13/12/2007 23:46
13/12/2007 23:46
|
MrF
Unregistered
|
MrF
Unregistered
|
Frozen drivers door in spite of treating the door seal, amused my neighbours as I climbed in through the passengers door, set off, stopped, got out same way, posted a letter, got in , set off and a short distance later the drivers door opened of its own accord having defrosted
|
|
|
Re: Winter Coupisms
[Re: ]
#502341
14/12/2007 04:10
14/12/2007 04:10
|
DanDan
Unregistered
|
DanDan
Unregistered
|
Not had a frozen windscreen on the inside yet! Dont think the aircon will work in these temps anyway  Was doing a late shift at work at 1 today, went out to my car at 12 noon thinking my car would have thawed out compared to my early 8am mornings and it was still frozen solid!! locks, door seal,everything
|
|
|
Re: Winter Coupisms
[Re: ]
#502666
14/12/2007 18:59
14/12/2007 18:59
|
circolo
Unregistered
|
circolo
Unregistered
|
I think my best (or worst really) winter Couperism, was the first winter I had her: 1. Got up a little earlier than usual knowing it was a frosty day.
2. Went to get in the car, but the central locking had frozen up.
3. So de-alarmed the car, and went to try the key instead, couldn't get the key in the key hole. 4. So sprayed some de-icer on the key and hole and eventually it yielded. 5. Turned the key, and could hear the central locking unlocking, then almost immediately locking again.
6. Unlocked the drivers door again, and "beat" the central locking to try and lock again.
7. Started her up, and get out of the car to start the scraping.
8. Closed the drivers door, and central locking re-locks (engine is still running)!
9. Go to get the spare key, (searching everywhere for that spare key, find it, and I unlock both sides now. The central locking now seems happier.
10. Start with the de-icing. Scrapping all windows, with the MAXDEF setting on inside.
11. Realise, the inside is partly iced and partly misted up.
12. De-ice the interior, and wipe the misting off.
13. Go to pull away, and think "that's odd" as the handbrake seems unusually free as I let it down.
14. Turn the engine off, and get the bus, as I realise the handbrake is stuck solid and a cold morning has defeated a car designed for slightly warmer climates.Surfice to say, she's kept in a garage now, and I have the other car for the commute. 
|
|
|
Re: Winter Coupisms
[Re: darmtb]
#503264
15/12/2007 21:39
15/12/2007 21:39
|
shaky
Unregistered
|
shaky
Unregistered
|
fill a kettle or jug with luke warm water, Saves buying any more anti freeze. Just make sure you turn the windscreen wipers on afterwards otherwise the screen will freeze again!
|
|
|
Re: Winter Coupisms
[Re: ]
#504265
17/12/2007 20:20
17/12/2007 20:20
|
Nics
Unregistered
|
Nics
Unregistered
|
I had the a frozen inside of windscreen for the first time on Saturday night. Never had that before in the 6 years I have had the car. This morning we had the frozen handbrake.(forgot not to put in on last night) The o/h's van wouldn't start either this morning. So after defrosting 2 windscreens. We ended up having to defrost the Land Cruiser and come to work in it. And we were both late. Lucky we own the company.
|
|
|
Re: Winter Coupisms
[Re: ]
#504332
17/12/2007 22:00
17/12/2007 22:00
|
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,632 Northern Ireland
daithi28
My life on the forum
|
My life on the forum
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,632
Northern Ireland
|
I had the a frozen inside of windscreen for the first time on Saturday night. Never had that before in the 6 years I have had the car. I remember getting severe moisture ingress in the cabin leading to frozen inside windscreen. Root of problem....? door rubber had been dislodged whilst letting a passenger out of the back seats. Rubber looked to be in place, but it was actually sitting on one side of the metal strip of the door as opposed to straddling it. Pushed door rubber back on strip and not more moisture in the car ever again! Maybe you have the same problem?
|
|
|
Re: Winter Coupisms
[Re: daithi28]
#504444
18/12/2007 00:45
18/12/2007 00:45
|
MrB
Unregistered
|
MrB
Unregistered
|
Hey, don't worry it's not just coupes. Ok, so the doors haven't frozen, the central locking always works (so far) and the handbrake hasn't frozen on, but my A4 chose the recent days to stop blowing air on the windscreen! Nice and convenient. It's been like having a 1970's car, full of anti-mist cloths and wiping the screen every 5 mins. Luckily I've fixed it now, one of the actuators on the blower mechanism was stuck, only had to remove the glovebox to get to it  (actually a lot easier than it sounds! 5 screws)
|
|
|
Re: Winter Coupisms
[Re: ]
#504447
18/12/2007 00:50
18/12/2007 00:50
|
iano
Unregistered
|
iano
Unregistered
|
went out this mornon car covered in ice... did i leave the handbrake off.. Yes thank god
|
|
|
Re: Winter Coupisms
[Re: daithi28]
#504811
18/12/2007 18:29
18/12/2007 18:29
|
Nics
Unregistered
|
Nics
Unregistered
|
I had the a frozen inside of windscreen for the first time on Saturday night. Never had that before in the 6 years I have had the car. I remember getting severe moisture ingress in the cabin leading to frozen inside windscreen. Root of problem....? door rubber had been dislodged whilst letting a passenger out of the back seats. Rubber looked to be in place, but it was actually sitting on one side of the metal strip of the door as opposed to straddling it. Pushed door rubber back on strip and not more moisture in the car ever again! Maybe you have the same problem? Thanks will have a look tonight.
|
|
|
Re: Winter Coupisms
[Re: stan]
#506105
20/12/2007 17:59
20/12/2007 17:59
|
DidCoop
Unregistered
|
DidCoop
Unregistered
|
My brakes didn't work yesterday for about 2 minutes, seemed they had frozen somewhere and there was no friction between disc and the pad the first few times....scared the sh*t out of me
|
|
|
Re: Winter Coupisms
[Re: ]
#506112
20/12/2007 18:08
20/12/2007 18:08
|
eldinho
Unregistered
|
eldinho
Unregistered
|
no problems for me so far either, normally my doors won't open but it hasn't happened 'yet'!
|
|
|
Re: Winter Coupisms
[Re: ]
#506115
20/12/2007 18:11
20/12/2007 18:11
|
Truffle
Unregistered
|
Truffle
Unregistered
|
I have discovered the ideal solution.
I dont get out of bed till 1pm.
|
|
|
|