Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 577 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,722
Posts1,170,104
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,306
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,903
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Winter Coupisms #501608
12/12/2007 23:54
12/12/2007 23:54
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,707
Gone
J
Jimbo Offline OP
Je suis un Coupé
Jimbo  Offline OP
Je suis un Coupé
J

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,707
Gone
Don't you just love the little quirks the coupe has in winter.

This morning I walked out to my frozen coupe on the drive 10 minutes early because I knew it was a cold night.

First of all the central locking wouldn't let me in because the lock was frozen solid so I heated up the key and that did the business- I was in smile

The winscreen was frozen solid so I set about scraping off the ice..... whats this, the ice isn't shifting, its on the inside too shocked

So I started her up and set the climate control to Max Defrost and went for a cup of tea. 10 minutes later as I towled down the dashboard of all the melted ice and I was ready for off. By this time the fuel light had come on so I popped into the BP garage for some superunleaded at £1.09 ltr grr Went to open the fuel cap and way hey, that was frozen shut too. A squirt of anti-freeze and I was in, as was the fuel.

The car was constantly steaming up as soon as the engine went off so I thought I'd look into the reason. Lifted the pasenger side mat and the carpet was soaked frown
Its now sat outside with the hairdryer on an extension lead drying the car out. God only know what the neighbours must think Im up to laugh

At least I got away with a non frozen handbrake or it would have been a full house.

Has anyone else had a full house of winter coupisms yet ?

Re: Winter Coupisms [Re: Jimbo] #501622
13/12/2007 00:28
13/12/2007 00:28

D
DanDan
Unregistered
DanDan
Unregistered
D



I got my key stuck in the petrol cap as it managed to freeze in there on a chilly night while trying to open it and fill up. De icer did the trick.

No frozen handbrake yet. I only leave it 1 click on now after what happened earlier this year on a frosty night. Took me an hour to move the car off the drive!!

laugh

Re: Winter Coupisms [Re: ] #501628
13/12/2007 00:46
13/12/2007 00:46

W
Whittler
Unregistered
Whittler
Unregistered
W




Doors frozen shut - check
Ice on inside of windscreen - check
Battery low on charge, labouring turn-over - check
Handbrake left off night before, so not frozen on - check
Pull out on to road, car very sluggish, rear brakes frozen on after using them once - check shocked

Got to love cars designed for the Mediterranean climate rolleyes

Re: Winter Coupisms [Re: ] #501726
13/12/2007 04:43
13/12/2007 04:43

L
lickyl
Unregistered
lickyl
Unregistered
L



frozen locks check
frozen brakes check
late for work check
lots of beers after work check
spend more money on coupe this week check

Re: Winter Coupisms [Re: ] #501991
13/12/2007 19:07
13/12/2007 19:07
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,330
Leeds
phil_20VT Offline
Competition Level
phil_20VT  Offline
Competition Level

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,330
Leeds
I've had ice on the inside the last couple of mornings too.
Funny ive never had it before.


Re: Winter Coupisms [Re: phil_20VT] #501994
13/12/2007 19:21
13/12/2007 19:21

L
Lucifer
Unregistered
Lucifer
Unregistered
L



Sorry this is slightly off topic, but phil_20VT, just out of interest, your reg number isn't R770 KBU is it? Looks a lot like it from your pic (how good is my eyesight?! smile ) and if so, that was the first Coupe I ever drove cool

Probably isn't tho, so complete waste of time if that's the case!! laugh

PS if you want me to delete your reg number from this post I will do, but I figured if you'd got it on your sig pic then you probably wouldn't mind.. confused

Re: Winter Coupisms [Re: ] #502000
13/12/2007 19:33
13/12/2007 19:33
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,251
Sevenoaks
mrc Offline
Club member 25
mrc  Offline
Club member 25
Competition Level

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,251
Sevenoaks
Yep, coupe totally frozen this morning, air-con packed in again so took some time to defrost. The worse thing is that no-one gritted my road so when I stepped out onto it I ended up very quickly on my cox! frown Coupe does look nice with frozen windows though! smile Mr C


[Linked Image]
Re: Winter Coupisms [Re: ] #502006
13/12/2007 19:39
13/12/2007 19:39
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 5,895
2011 and 2015 FCCUK F1 Champ.
B
bezzer Offline
Forum is my life
bezzer  Offline
Forum is my life
B

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 5,895
2011 and 2015 FCCUK F1 Champ.
Frozen locks - No
Frozen Handbrake - No
Frozen rear brakes - No
Frozen Petrol Cap - No
Iced up windscreen (inside) - No
Wet Carpet - No

Oh hang on, I sold my coupe earlier this year rolleyes

Fortunately my Scoob can cope with a little bit of frost tongue laugh



......My Boy...... (PB #7)
Re: Winter Coupisms [Re: Jimbo] #502011
13/12/2007 19:43
13/12/2007 19:43

L
Leckypete
Unregistered
Leckypete
Unregistered
L



Have been getting a lift to work in a coleagues car but had to take mine yesterday, came out at end of 3-11 shift, doors frozen shut laugh
Central locking solonoid could be heard on passenger side (must have been sheltered a bit that side) got passenger door open & opened drivers door from inside.

Have been out this morning & given all locks a dose of WD40 wink

Only use handbrake if on a slope so avoiding that issue.

Bit of ice on inside of front screen but not too bad.

Polish guy at work says there winters much worse, once car was buried under 3m of snow! Thinks theres a few coupes in Poland so wonder how they get on?

Re: Winter Coupisms [Re: ] #502054
13/12/2007 21:16
13/12/2007 21:16
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,929
The Faringdon Folly
O
oxfordSteve Offline
Forum is my job
oxfordSteve  Offline
Forum is my job
O

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,929
The Faringdon Folly
Doors frozen shut every day this week.
Filler cap lock frozen shut this morning.
Not noticed a frozen handbrake (so far).
Screen mists up come going home time twice this week.
Might be time to clear the garage and start using it for a change!




Re: Winter Coupisms [Re: oxfordSteve] #502073
13/12/2007 21:59
13/12/2007 21:59

A
ally_f
Unregistered
ally_f
Unregistered
A



Frozen doors / locks - Check
Frozen Fuel Filler - Check
Drips from rear view mirror area 10 mins after
setting off - Check and a bit worrying, hoping its condensation from the screen or something!
Broken aircon and misting - check

havent had the handbrake cable problem...so far!

to be honest tho my biggest winter moan is cold leather in the morning!

Re: Winter Coupisms [Re: ] #502118
13/12/2007 23:02
13/12/2007 23:02

V
veggy
Unregistered
veggy
Unregistered
V



Originally Posted by ally_f
to be honest tho my biggest winter moan is cold leather in the morning!


That's what comes of taking chaps to bed! laugh

Re: Winter Coupisms [Re: ] #502145
13/12/2007 23:28
13/12/2007 23:28

D
Damo
Unregistered
Damo
Unregistered
D



None of the above thanks to the coupe now being a Focus.

The Cobra (real coupe replacement) lives in the garage and doesn't have to go out in the cold, on the plus side though, I could vault over the doors and the windscreen has no in/outside as there are no side windows or indeed a roof

Re: Winter Coupisms [Re: ] #502156
13/12/2007 23:46
13/12/2007 23:46

M
MrF
Unregistered
MrF
Unregistered
M



Frozen drivers door in spite of treating the door seal, amused my neighbours as I climbed in through the passengers door, set off, stopped, got out same way, posted a letter, got in , set off and a short distance later the drivers door opened of its own accord having defrosted

Re: Winter Coupisms [Re: ] #502247
14/12/2007 01:35
14/12/2007 01:35

R
Roadking
Unregistered
Roadking
Unregistered
R



Originally Posted by Damo

The Cobra (real coupe replacement)


love love love I'd have thought a LOT more than a Coupé replacement.

Re: Winter Coupisms [Re: ] #502341
14/12/2007 04:10
14/12/2007 04:10

D
DanDan
Unregistered
DanDan
Unregistered
D



Not had a frozen windscreen on the inside yet! Dont think the aircon will work in these temps anyway frown Was doing a late shift at work at 1 today, went out to my car at 12 noon thinking my car would have thawed out compared to my early 8am mornings and it was still frozen solid!! locks, door seal,everything frown

Re: Winter Coupisms [Re: ] #502666
14/12/2007 18:59
14/12/2007 18:59

C
circolo
Unregistered
circolo
Unregistered
C



I think my best (or worst really) winter Couperism, was the first winter I had her:


1. Got up a little earlier than usual knowing it was a frosty day.

2. Went to get in the car, but the central locking had frozen up.

3. So de-alarmed the car, and went to try the key instead, couldn't get the key in the key hole.

4. So sprayed some de-icer on the key and hole and eventually it yielded.

5. Turned the key, and could hear the central locking unlocking, then almost immediately locking again.

6. Unlocked the drivers door again, and "beat" the central locking to try and lock again.

7. Started her up, and get out of the car to start the scraping.

8. Closed the drivers door, and central locking re-locks (engine is still running)!

9. Go to get the spare key, (searching everywhere for that spare key, find it, and I unlock both sides now. The central locking now seems happier.

10. Start with the de-icing. Scrapping all windows, with the MAXDEF setting on inside.

11. Realise, the inside is partly iced and partly misted up.

12. De-ice the interior, and wipe the misting off.

13. Go to pull away, and think "that's odd" as the handbrake seems unusually free as I let it down.

14. Turn the engine off, and get the bus, as I realise the handbrake is stuck solid and a cold morning has defeated a car designed for slightly warmer climates.


Surfice to say, she's kept in a garage now, and I have the other car for the commute.

smile

Re: Winter Coupisms [Re: ] #502693
14/12/2007 19:33
14/12/2007 19:33
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,648
Ireland !!!!
D
darmtb Offline
club member 1890
darmtb  Offline
club member 1890
My life on the forum
D

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,648
Ireland !!!!
How do the owners in Sweden and Norway get on??

Nothing frozen over here yet, and I have new handbrake cables in laugh


[Linked Image]
"Mighty MO"
Re: Winter Coupisms [Re: darmtb] #503264
15/12/2007 21:39
15/12/2007 21:39

S
shaky
Unregistered
shaky
Unregistered
S



fill a kettle or jug with luke warm water, Saves buying any more anti freeze. Just make sure you turn the windscreen wipers on afterwards otherwise the screen will freeze again!

Re: Winter Coupisms [Re: ] #504265
17/12/2007 20:20
17/12/2007 20:20

N
Nics
Unregistered
Nics
Unregistered
N



I had the a frozen inside of windscreen for the first time on Saturday night. Never had that before in the 6 years I have had the car. This morning we had the frozen handbrake.(forgot not to put in on last night) The o/h's van wouldn't start either this morning. So after defrosting 2 windscreens. We ended up having to defrost the Land Cruiser and come to work in it. And we were both late. Lucky we own the company.

Re: Winter Coupisms [Re: ] #504332
17/12/2007 22:00
17/12/2007 22:00
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,632
Northern Ireland
D
daithi28 Offline
My life on the forum
daithi28  Offline
My life on the forum
D

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,632
Northern Ireland
Originally Posted by Nics
I had the a frozen inside of windscreen for the first time on Saturday night. Never had that before in the 6 years I have had the car.


I remember getting severe moisture ingress in the cabin leading to frozen inside windscreen. Root of problem....? door rubber had been dislodged whilst letting a passenger out of the back seats. Rubber looked to be in place, but it was actually sitting on one side of the metal strip of the door as opposed to straddling it.

Pushed door rubber back on strip and not more moisture in the car ever again! Maybe you have the same problem?

Re: Winter Coupisms [Re: daithi28] #504444
18/12/2007 00:45
18/12/2007 00:45

M
MrB
Unregistered
MrB
Unregistered
M



Hey, don't worry it's not just coupes.

Ok, so the doors haven't frozen, the central locking always works (so far) and the handbrake hasn't frozen on, but my A4 chose the recent days to stop blowing air on the windscreen! Nice and convenient. It's been like having a 1970's car, full of anti-mist cloths and wiping the screen every 5 mins.

Luckily I've fixed it now, one of the actuators on the blower mechanism was stuck, only had to remove the glovebox to get to it rolleyes (actually a lot easier than it sounds! 5 screws)

Re: Winter Coupisms [Re: ] #504447
18/12/2007 00:50
18/12/2007 00:50

I
iano
Unregistered
iano
Unregistered
I



went out this mornon car covered in ice...
did i leave the handbrake off..
Yes thank god

Re: Winter Coupisms [Re: daithi28] #504811
18/12/2007 18:29
18/12/2007 18:29

N
Nics
Unregistered
Nics
Unregistered
N



Originally Posted by daithi28
Originally Posted by Nics
I had the a frozen inside of windscreen for the first time on Saturday night. Never had that before in the 6 years I have had the car.


I remember getting severe moisture ingress in the cabin leading to frozen inside windscreen. Root of problem....? door rubber had been dislodged whilst letting a passenger out of the back seats. Rubber looked to be in place, but it was actually sitting on one side of the metal strip of the door as opposed to straddling it.

Pushed door rubber back on strip and not more moisture in the car ever again! Maybe you have the same problem?


Thanks will have a look tonight.

Re: Winter Coupisms [Re: ] #505880
20/12/2007 03:16
20/12/2007 03:16
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 135
Leicester
mungo Offline
On a journey
mungo  Offline
On a journey

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 135
Leicester
I am tempting fate here but...
No problems whatsover so far!

Re: Winter Coupisms [Re: mungo] #505948
20/12/2007 05:11
20/12/2007 05:11
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 32,123
Cumbria
stan Offline
Dr. Frankenstan
stan  Offline
Dr. Frankenstan
Forum Demigod

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 32,123
Cumbria
Originally Posted by mungo
I am tempting fate here but...
No problems whatsover so far!




Do you really own a coupé? laugh


[Linked Image]
Re: Winter Coupisms [Re: stan] #506105
20/12/2007 17:59
20/12/2007 17:59

D
DidCoop
Unregistered
DidCoop
Unregistered
D



My brakes didn't work yesterday for about 2 minutes, seemed they had frozen somewhere and there was no friction between disc and the pad the first few times....scared the sh*t out of me

Re: Winter Coupisms [Re: ] #506112
20/12/2007 18:08
20/12/2007 18:08

E
eldinho
Unregistered
eldinho
Unregistered
E



no problems for me so far either, normally my doors won't open but it hasn't happened 'yet'!

Re: Winter Coupisms [Re: ] #506115
20/12/2007 18:11
20/12/2007 18:11

T
Truffle
Unregistered
Truffle
Unregistered
T



I have discovered the ideal solution.


I dont get out of bed till 1pm.

Re: Winter Coupisms [Re: ] #506125
20/12/2007 18:28
20/12/2007 18:28
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 32,123
Cumbria
stan Offline
Dr. Frankenstan
stan  Offline
Dr. Frankenstan
Forum Demigod

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 32,123
Cumbria
Originally Posted by Truffle
I have discovered the ideal solution.


I dont get out of bed till 1pm.



Whose bed? laugh


[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.019s Queries: 14 (0.011s) Memory: 0.7218 MB (Peak: 0.9376 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-09 19:42:46 UTC