Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Edinburgh), 616 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,722
Posts1,170,104
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,306
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,903
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Will 225 45 18 tyres fit on a 20VT Coupe? #885301
18/08/2009 21:39
18/08/2009 21:39
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 49
chippenham, Wiltshire
Max Offline OP
Discoverer
Max  Offline OP
Discoverer

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 49
chippenham, Wiltshire
Hi All,

I currently have 215 35 18 tyres on TSW Ribs alloys which make for a harshish ride. I'm taking my Coupe over Swiss, Italian and French Alps in September (Top Gear Greatest roads route plus some more...I cant wait to go!!) smile
My query is, as I would like a bit more comfort and my current tyres are worn, would 225 45 18 tyres fit under the arches and clear everything? I know the rolling radius is going to be larger but I'm not too worried about it.

Any one help??


[Linked Image]
Re: Will 225 45 18 tyres fit on a 20VT Coupe? [Re: Max] #885368
19/08/2009 00:43
19/08/2009 00:43

T
TurboJ
Unregistered
TurboJ
Unregistered
T



18" = 457.2mm

457.2 + (215 x 0.35) = 532.45mm (current diameter)
457.2 + (225 x 0.45) = 558.45mm (new diameter)

532.45 - 558.45 = 26mm (total difference)

26 / 2 = 13mm (half difference)

So check that you arches can accommodate another 13mm on top of your current tyre.

Re: Will 225 45 18 tyres fit on a 20VT Coupe? [Re: ] #885655
19/08/2009 15:41
19/08/2009 15:41

S
symonh2000
Unregistered
symonh2000
Unregistered
S



My 16VT was fitted with 225/40 R18s when I got it and they rubbed the wheel arch liners at the front when the steering was turned.

Replacing with 225/35 R18's sorted it.

I am afraid unless you want to cut your car about you will need to go to 17's for a softer ride.

Re: Will 225 45 18 tyres fit on a 20VT Coupe? [Re: ] #885743
19/08/2009 17:08
19/08/2009 17:08

J
JohnS
Unregistered
JohnS
Unregistered
J



I use 245/35R18 but you may get rubbing from them also, esp on the rear arch. You would also require a 8" wide wheel as a minimum

225/45R18 will not fit at all

Re: Will 225 45 18 tyres fit on a 20VT Coupe? [Re: ] #885748
19/08/2009 17:14
19/08/2009 17:14

P
peanuthead
Unregistered
peanuthead
Unregistered
P



would 215 40 18 fit?

Re: Will 225 45 18 tyres fit on a 20VT Coupe? [Re: ] #885821
19/08/2009 19:04
19/08/2009 19:04

J
JohnS
Unregistered
JohnS
Unregistered
J



yes is my guess, but I don't know anyone who has tried it.

Re: Will 225 45 18 tyres fit on a 20VT Coupe? [Re: ] #887400
22/08/2009 22:10
22/08/2009 22:10
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 49
chippenham, Wiltshire
Max Offline OP
Discoverer
Max  Offline OP
Discoverer

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 49
chippenham, Wiltshire
Cheers guys for the input, Think I might chance it and keep my old tyres and replace them when I get back. 3000 miles in 12 days should see them off!


[Linked Image]

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.013s Queries: 14 (0.008s) Memory: 0.6116 MB (Peak: 0.6763 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-09 17:27:01 UTC