|
|
|
Forums48
Topics103,722
Posts1,170,104
Members1,659
| |
Most Online39,516 Apr 16th, 2026
|
|
|
Will 225 45 18 tyres fit on a 20VT Coupe?
#885301
18/08/2009 21:39
18/08/2009 21:39
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 49 chippenham, Wiltshire
Max
OP
Discoverer
|
OP
Discoverer
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 49
chippenham, Wiltshire
|
Hi All, I currently have 215 35 18 tyres on TSW Ribs alloys which make for a harshish ride. I'm taking my Coupe over Swiss, Italian and French Alps in September (Top Gear Greatest roads route plus some more...I cant wait to go!!)  My query is, as I would like a bit more comfort and my current tyres are worn, would 225 45 18 tyres fit under the arches and clear everything? I know the rolling radius is going to be larger but I'm not too worried about it. Any one help??
|
|
|
Re: Will 225 45 18 tyres fit on a 20VT Coupe?
[Re: Max]
#885368
19/08/2009 00:43
19/08/2009 00:43
|
TurboJ
Unregistered
|
TurboJ
Unregistered
|
18" = 457.2mm
457.2 + (215 x 0.35) = 532.45mm (current diameter) 457.2 + (225 x 0.45) = 558.45mm (new diameter)
532.45 - 558.45 = 26mm (total difference)
26 / 2 = 13mm (half difference)
So check that you arches can accommodate another 13mm on top of your current tyre.
|
|
|
Re: Will 225 45 18 tyres fit on a 20VT Coupe?
[Re: ]
#885655
19/08/2009 15:41
19/08/2009 15:41
|
symonh2000
Unregistered
|
symonh2000
Unregistered
|
My 16VT was fitted with 225/40 R18s when I got it and they rubbed the wheel arch liners at the front when the steering was turned.
Replacing with 225/35 R18's sorted it.
I am afraid unless you want to cut your car about you will need to go to 17's for a softer ride.
|
|
|
Re: Will 225 45 18 tyres fit on a 20VT Coupe?
[Re: ]
#885743
19/08/2009 17:08
19/08/2009 17:08
|
JohnS
Unregistered
|
JohnS
Unregistered
|
I use 245/35R18 but you may get rubbing from them also, esp on the rear arch. You would also require a 8" wide wheel as a minimum
225/45R18 will not fit at all
|
|
|
Re: Will 225 45 18 tyres fit on a 20VT Coupe?
[Re: ]
#885748
19/08/2009 17:14
19/08/2009 17:14
|
peanuthead
Unregistered
|
peanuthead
Unregistered
|
|
|
|
Re: Will 225 45 18 tyres fit on a 20VT Coupe?
[Re: ]
#885821
19/08/2009 19:04
19/08/2009 19:04
|
JohnS
Unregistered
|
JohnS
Unregistered
|
yes is my guess, but I don't know anyone who has tried it.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|