Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Edinburgh), 616 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,722
Posts1,170,104
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,306
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,903
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mileage - How worried should I be? #986476
18/02/2010 21:05
18/02/2010 21:05

S
saintlysimon
Unregistered
saintlysimon
Unregistered
S



Hi guys,

Been floating around for the last couple of years since I sold my 16vt back in '07.

Now sure I want another coupe, and would like some advice on picking the right car.

Most coupes are clearly getting on milage wise, and I'm a little worried about anything with more than 100k.

Should I be? Or is an excellent service history enough to keep most learned coupe pro's interested in a car with plus 100k?

Thanks


Last edited by saintlysimon; 18/02/2010 21:12.
Re: Mileage - How worried should I be? [Re: ] #986519
18/02/2010 21:59
18/02/2010 21:59
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 10,747
N.E Scotland
mattB Offline
Club member 6
mattB  Offline
Club member 6
I AM a Coop

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 10,747
N.E Scotland
Mileage is nothing. Condition is everything.


Death-rattle-tastic
Re: Mileage - How worried should I be? [Re: mattB] #986520
18/02/2010 22:00
18/02/2010 22:00

P
proccy
Unregistered
proccy
Unregistered
P



and history, i always think

Re: Mileage - How worried should I be? [Re: ] #986545
18/02/2010 22:52
18/02/2010 22:52
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 12,644
Watford
MarioCirillo Offline
Ex El Presidente
MarioCirillo  Offline
Ex El Presidente
I AM a Coop

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 12,644
Watford
Mileage - yes its nice to get a low mileage coupe but dont forget

a good condition coupe with high mileage will have all of the work already done... belts, turbo, rad, clutch, gearbox etc etc

You will also find many coupes on their second engine... again not a big deal providing all the paper work is there and is in order laugh


Proud Owner of Rosso Speed LE041
Re: Mileage - How worried should I be? [Re: MarioCirillo] #986554
18/02/2010 23:07
18/02/2010 23:07

S
saintlysimon
Unregistered
saintlysimon
Unregistered
S



Thanks guys,


The general theme is, as long as she's backed up with paperwork and is in good condition, don't be too worried?

I was also wondering about 2nd engine, and if this was a bad sign?! But seems like it might not be, with the correct paperwork.

Very true about some of the impending work already being carried out on the higher mileage coupes, didnt look at it that way!

Thanks

Re: Mileage - How worried should I be? [Re: ] #986573
18/02/2010 23:35
18/02/2010 23:35
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,705
Harpenden
S
sugerbear Offline
Je suis un Coupé
sugerbear  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
S

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,705
Harpenden
No, second engine is often because the first one's belts flew off or was run with no oil.

You do take a chance with a secondhand engine though, because unless its got history it could be just as knackered as the first one.


How to make a startrek widget cable >> http://tinyurl.com/dyje6fy
Re: Mileage - How worried should I be? [Re: sugerbear] #986582
18/02/2010 23:45
18/02/2010 23:45
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,961
west bromwich
C
coupedummy Offline
Je suis un Coupé
coupedummy  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
C

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,961
west bromwich
As far as i know my coupe is on original engine at 163k.
turbo,manifold,exhaust etc have all been changed over the years but aslong as the car has been maintained no reason why high mile cars shouldnt be considered


[Linked Image]
Re: Mileage - How worried should I be? [Re: coupedummy] #986602
19/02/2010 00:36
19/02/2010 00:36

S
siloman
Unregistered
siloman
Unregistered
S



Im on 153,000

Original engine and second clutch not sure of turbo have no invoice of a replacement .


Check paper work dates and look for plenty oil changes.



thumb

Re: Mileage - How worried should I be? [Re: ] #986753
19/02/2010 12:13
19/02/2010 12:13
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386
Staffordshire
Nigel Offline
Forum veteran
Nigel  Offline
Forum veteran

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386
Staffordshire
I'm on 233,000, but I've had a couple of engine rebuilds during that time

With a car of that mileage, you'll also find other stuff starting to reach the end of its life. In the last 50,000 miles or so, I've also had to replace:

Steering rack
Rear radius arm bushes
Gearbox internals (synchro went on 4th, but possibly down to my excess of bhp)

And finally, Coupes are now starting to suffer from rust, and high mileage examples have probably been drive all year round, in all sorts of weather - check carefully

Re: Mileage - How worried should I be? [Re: Nigel] #987409
20/02/2010 16:25
20/02/2010 16:25

S
saintlysimon
Unregistered
saintlysimon
Unregistered
S



thumb

Brilliant advice there, thanks guys.

I guess the biggest fear for me would be heafty expense within the first year or so of ownership.

Paper work and a good check over seems critical...

Thank you

Re: Mileage - How worried should I be? [Re: ] #987425
20/02/2010 16:48
20/02/2010 16:48

N
Nello
Unregistered
Nello
Unregistered
N



I know of a certain club members LE with over 150k - one of the best I've seen thumb


Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.013s Queries: 14 (0.007s) Memory: 0.6353 MB (Peak: 0.7357 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-09 17:28:57 UTC