|
0 registered members (),
1,197
guests, and 8
spiders. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,143
Members1,659
| |
Most Online39,516 Apr 16th, 2026
|
|
|
Unichip Question
#995719
06/03/2010 13:07
06/03/2010 13:07
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,707 Gone
Jimbo
OP
Je suis un Coupé
|
OP
Je suis un Coupé
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,707
Gone
|
I'm sure I've asked this before but I can't find the answer. I'm almost positive my engine cutting out issues at idle are caused by the unichip, the issue only started when the chip was installed. Does anyone know what pins I need to short out on the connector to remove the unichip from the ECU ? I've moved the MAF sensor, I've disconnected the MAF, I've replaced the Lambda, I've slaved in a new MAF and it still cuts out every 3 minutes or so on tickover. It's got to be this bloomin Unichip
|
|
|
Re: Unichip Question
[Re: Jimbo]
#995750
06/03/2010 14:10
06/03/2010 14:10
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386 Staffordshire
Nigel
Forum veteran
|
Forum veteran
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386
Staffordshire
|
Jimbo - it should be obvious after a few minutes grovelling round in the passenger footwell The ECU simply intercepts various signals and alters them slightly - to do this, the fitter simply chops an existing ECU feed and connects the correct Unichip wires to them (or incorrectly, in my case  ) All you have to do is disconnect each wire in turn and splice the original Coupe cables back together (using a proper soldered and sealed connection)
|
|
|
Re: Unichip Question
[Re: Jimbo]
#995769
06/03/2010 15:02
06/03/2010 15:02
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,707 Gone
Jimbo
OP
Je suis un Coupé
|
OP
Je suis un Coupé
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,707
Gone
|
Well what a fucking pigs ear of a job they made of fitting the unichip. I won't speak ill of the dead but this was fitted by Perfect Touch and lets just say they've made a real bodge job of fitting it, instead of just cutting wires and splicing the new loom in, in their wisdom they have removed wires from ECU pins and removed sections of wires, this is now a nightmare of a job  I'm flying in a few hours and really wish I'd not started doing this now. Looking at the wire guide from Suba You need to cut the loom for the unichip a few inches away from the white plug. Then:
Join the following wires - either crimp connectors or solder:
purple to white / red
Brown to white / black
White to black. That leaves me a red and a yellow wire with no where to go ? The car misfires at 4000rpm, the rev counter needle flicks up and down and the injector light comes on. Anyone any wiser on this ? Perfect Touch were raved about in their day but to be honest my car has never been right since they worked their "magic" on it 
|
|
|
Re: Unichip Question
[Re: Jimbo]
#995772
06/03/2010 15:10
06/03/2010 15:10
|
Taz
Unregistered
|
Taz
Unregistered
|
Soz to hear this Jimbo  PT were / are still shite in my opinion & I'm so glad I left the repair job to Flea. Can you not get the ECU pins separately ? Then you could re-crimp & refit the pins into the Original ECU multi plug ?? I'd not rush this job, as if you get a short across the wrong pin, you could fry the PCB 
|
|
|
Re: Unichip Question
[Re: ]
#995782
06/03/2010 15:41
06/03/2010 15:41
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,707 Gone
Jimbo
OP
Je suis un Coupé
|
OP
Je suis un Coupé
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,707
Gone
|
Well it's a good job fault finding is my bread and butter, I found the problem  The Purple - Red/White and Brown - Black/White wires were either listed wrongly by Suba or on my car they had cross connected them at the ECU pins. Anyway, I swapped them over and shorted them out and now it runs nicely at idle and no misfire at revs, going to road test it in a minute. Taz, it's unfortunately not just a case of re-crimping the wires, they snipped out the old loom from the back of the ECU pins and fitted the Unichip harness instead (the cable is half the diameter of the original loom incidently). I have shorted the cables for now but it will be an ECU loom re-wire when I get back to do a neat job, at least it's only 6 cables.
|
|
|
Re: Unichip Question
[Re: Jimbo]
#995829
06/03/2010 17:30
06/03/2010 17:30
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 10,747 N.E Scotland
mattB
Club member 6
|
Club member 6
I AM a Coop
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 10,747
N.E Scotland
|
Red is +12v and I'd expect the yellow one to be TPS signal but I see you've already sorted it out.
Death-rattle-tastic
|
|
|
|