Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (RichG), 905 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,143
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,311
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,920
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Headgasket #1537684
12/05/2015 09:23
12/05/2015 09:23
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,312
Sandhurst
Begbie Offline OP
ex El Presidente
Begbie  Offline OP
ex El Presidente
I AM a Coop

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,312
Sandhurst
With the head almost finished being rebuilt by GC, I need to get myself a new head gasket. Previously I had been using the Spesso with separate fire rings, but it seems this doesn't exist anymore (spoken to the UK agent) so my choices are somewhat limited now.

I know there is Cometic, but I can't remember if I read on a different forum that someone had a problem with it and I'd rather not be bitten again by this bloody engine grr


Originally Posted by Jonny - After being taken out at Spa
Your car is Usain Bolt with wellies
Re: Headgasket [Re: Begbie] #1537688
12/05/2015 10:19
12/05/2015 10:19
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,728
London
kj16v Offline
My life on the forum
kj16v  Offline
My life on the forum

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,728
London
I use Cometic MLS gaskets in most of the performance engine builds I do, including in my own 16VT. I always recommend them for 16VT builds. MLS gaskets are the only type I offer for uprated 16VT engines because, IMO, there's no need for any other type! No need for special machining for fire rings, etc, just make sure both the head and block are faced flat to 50 RA smoothness.

Re: Headgasket [Re: Begbie] #1537700
12/05/2015 11:35
12/05/2015 11:35
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,728
London
kj16v Offline
My life on the forum
kj16v  Offline
My life on the forum

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,728
London
BTW, how come you needed to have the head rebuilt?

Also, when you had the engine built the first time round was the block face machined with recesses to fit the fire rings, or were the fire rings the type that didn't need special machining?

Re: Headgasket [Re: Begbie] #1537701
12/05/2015 11:39
12/05/2015 11:39
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,312
Sandhurst
Begbie Offline OP
ex El Presidente
Begbie  Offline OP
ex El Presidente
I AM a Coop

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,312
Sandhurst
You don't obviously read coupe chat then smile linky

No block or head machining for the fire ring, the Spesso gasket is crush type ring. GC commented that he only needed to take 0.006" off the head to clear the ring marks.


Originally Posted by Jonny - After being taken out at Spa
Your car is Usain Bolt with wellies
Re: Headgasket [Re: Begbie] #1537724
12/05/2015 14:35
12/05/2015 14:35
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,728
London
kj16v Offline
My life on the forum
kj16v  Offline
My life on the forum

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,728
London
You're right, I don't read much on the forum these days!

Good to know you're rebuilding instead of breaking. 16VTs are rare enough already.

That's good because both mating surfaces need to be completely flat.

Re: Headgasket [Re: Begbie] #1537764
12/05/2015 20:28
12/05/2015 20:28
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 10,747
N.E Scotland
mattB Offline
Club member 6
mattB  Offline
Club member 6
I AM a Coop

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 10,747
N.E Scotland
I'm assuming you've tried Trevor (http://www.nyssaracing.com/index.php)? Or is he the official UK agent you spoke to?


Death-rattle-tastic
Re: Headgasket [Re: mattB] #1537809
13/05/2015 10:22
13/05/2015 10:22
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,312
Sandhurst
Begbie Offline OP
ex El Presidente
Begbie  Offline OP
ex El Presidente
I AM a Coop

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,312
Sandhurst
Originally Posted by mattB
I'm assuming you've tried Trevor (http://www.nyssaracing.com/index.php)? Or is he the official UK agent you spoke to?
Yep, spoken to Trevor smile


Originally Posted by Jonny - After being taken out at Spa
Your car is Usain Bolt with wellies
Re: Headgasket [Re: Begbie] #1537867
13/05/2015 21:09
13/05/2015 21:09

P
PhoB
Unregistered
PhoB
Unregistered
P



I didnt have problem with Cometic on medium modified 16vt, but have on cosworth engine. Then we deeper inspect in headgasket design. And i will never use cometic again, it simply cannot work on hi-power application(say 500bhp+ on 2ltr 4cyl).
But hold more than OEM 16vt gasket, yes.

Also uk deltaparts sells 1.9mm version as stock thickness, which is bit confusing as oem is 1.6-1.7mm (=you will lost little bit of power just by this replacement)

Re: Headgasket [Re: Begbie] #1570951
24/04/2016 23:19
24/04/2016 23:19

C
crgracing
Unregistered
crgracing
Unregistered
C



Begbie did you manage to find the spesso gasket?
Ill be needing one soon and can't find then either

Re: Headgasket [Re: Begbie] #1570992
25/04/2016 10:34
25/04/2016 10:34
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,312
Sandhurst
Begbie Offline OP
ex El Presidente
Begbie  Offline OP
ex El Presidente
I AM a Coop

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,312
Sandhurst
I did manage to get one. I got it from Tanc Barrett - Link to it here http://www.deltaintegrale.com/details.php?Clv=3&C1=2&C2=2&id=1663


Originally Posted by Jonny - After being taken out at Spa
Your car is Usain Bolt with wellies
Re: Headgasket [Re: Begbie] #1571011
25/04/2016 12:44
25/04/2016 12:44

C
crgracing
Unregistered
crgracing
Unregistered
C



Thanks Begbie!

Re: Headgasket [Re: ] #1571947
01/05/2016 22:58
01/05/2016 22:58

N
nyssa7
Unregistered
nyssa7
Unregistered
N



Just for reference, Spesso have started supply of the "rings" gasket" again after a break of a few years, so drop me an email (trevor@nyssa.ltd.uk) when you need one

Re: Headgasket [Re: Begbie] #1578570
27/06/2016 16:35
27/06/2016 16:35

C
crgracing
Unregistered
crgracing
Unregistered
C



Thanks Nyssa. Purchsed one a few days ago. Ive got your email as ill possibly will be needing one in the next few months.

Thanks!


Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.012s Queries: 14 (0.007s) Memory: 0.6461 MB (Peak: 0.7555 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 18:42:09 UTC